Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 1 month ago

Is there a name for the movement of a Knight in chess that’s not “2 left/right, 1 up/down, or 2 up/down, 1 left/right” or “in a L pattern”?

Bishops move “diagonally”. Rooks move “horizontally or vertically”, a Queen moves “diagonally, horizontally, or vertically”, etc. Is there a word that describes the movement pattern of a Knight? 

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    Oddly enough I don't think there is an actual name for this specific movement.

  • 3 weeks ago

    hop, hop, sidehop

  • 1 month ago

    I've always seen it called "L-shaped." 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.