Is Foxwell NT3010/NT301 OBD-II scanner any good for a beginner? ?

I am a DIYer who is always looking to restore the performance and fuel consumption characteristics of the E46 BMW 323i and E46 318i vehicles currently in use in my family. I also want to be able to avoid mechanics ripping me off with bogus claims, but I want to know if my OBD-II scanner can pick up codes relating to the engine, drivetrain, ignition system, and from the various sensors.  The scanner I bought is a Foxwell NT3010/301 OIBD-II scanner that features live sensor readouts. 

I would also like to know if spark plugs can really do "increase" performance or just restore? I see many Iridium/Platinum plugs out there that make absurd claims about "increased fuel efficiency", "increased fuel economy" and claims that it delivers a more powerful spark over copper/nickel (LOL).  If that were the case, then why is it that platinum and iridium are less conductive than copper?  It's almost like they're calling everyone an idiot.

Will 2 or more prongs even make any difference in platinum plugs in terms of performance and fuel economy?

HARBOR FRIEGHT has the BEST scanner for the price and it is usually on sale! it starts with a "Z" like ZURICH or close to that! Check outeh HARBOR FREIGHT on the WEB! 

Nice to see You have a scanner that works Not all OBDII scanners

can read OBDII no matter what the Booklet says always Go By Feedback

I had an airbag warning Light on cost $61 to get it switched off and was told needed a new clock spring

Light came on again Replaced Clock spring Used a $58 scanner waste of space which Failed to Turn off the Light

Purchased a Foxwell N614E3a

turned off light first attempt and been off for 4 weeks so i am assuming New clock spring is working $250 well spent

$61 saved by doing it myself 3 More times and the Unit has Paid for itself

doing an engine scan found out I have a Misfire  which is effecting Fuel consumption

a Good scanner like the Foxwell can Diagnose the engine and show Faults

• arther

get the FOXWELL NT510 Elite OBD2 if you can, what foxwell recommend for bmw

If the check engine light is not ON, there is really nothing you can do to improve fuel consumption except to air up the tires to the correct pressures, drive like your grandmother and avoid short trips. 

The spark plugs on modern cars are good for 100k miles.  Replace if with the same ones that came out.  Do not OVERTHINK it.  Good luck.

ANY OBDII scanner will read ALL OBDII codes.

The one you have will ALSO tell you what sensor triggers any given code.

That said, NO scanner will restore ANYTHING.

In reverse order:

1. Split prong plugs are snake oil, all that extra surface makes for a sloppy spark. The best spark has one good path carrying all the energy.

2. Every plug has a copper core, with a nickel, platinum or iridium electrode at the tip. The more expensive metals are harder and last longer, so they can be made with a smaller diameter. The smaller tip makes it easier to generate a spark, they run hotter, and so all that makes for a cleaner burn and a longer lifespan in high performance engines. 

3. In most cases the manufacturer got it right the first time so stick with what they recommend in the manual. The improvement you feel after changing the plugs is from the tuneup, not the plugs.

4. That should be a good basic scanner. The main thing you need is the ability to read the codes. Then go to Google to see what could be causing them. There may be several reasons for any one code; consider them carefully before throwing new parts at it.