Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 6

If the 15 dollar an hour minimum wage passes, will we still be expected to tip servers 20% for carrying our food and beverage out to us?

Update:

I'm sure rules vary state by state, but I worked restaurants for many years in Calif, and servers always got minimum wage plus tips.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No way am i tipping anymore if 15 dollars an hour goes thru. I've worked the same retail job for 20 years and only make $13.48.

• 2 weeks ago

Tip, don't tip; tips are optional, by definition. The liar suggesting that servers aren't making at least the same minimum wage as everyone else must not have ever learned what "minimum wage" means.  It would be COMPLETELY illegal for any employer not to make sure that all tipped employees have gross income of at least the required minimum wage, whether or not anyone actually tipped them. That's the federal law and the same in the vast majority of US states.

Bottom line, you don't EVER have to tip a server, let alone one carrying out to you, let alone anything determined as some bogus percentage of the price paid for the food.  If you WANT to tip a few dollars, go right ahead, but they have absolutely no right to EXPECT a tip of any kind, regardless of how well they do their job.  It's up to management to make sure they do the job well, whether or not you decide to pay them more for simply showing up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No absolutely we would not.

• 2 months ago

Of course $15 an hour is less than what is needed to be self supporting.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why not? The extra half dollar you spend will never be noticed.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don’t tip fast food workers.

People who work at restaurants, the waiters, hostess, do not get paid minimum wage. They still depend on tips. 

So you waiter isn’t going to be paid $15 an hour from their employer. 

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the UK we don't really go in for tipping much.

If the service in a restaurant in the evening has been particularly good, we usually leave a couple of pound coins on the table as we leave but it's not vital, as our waiters are all on a minimum wage and have been for many years.

It's not usual to tip at lunchtime and never for fast food, take-aways or at the bar.

I expect that will become the norm in the USA soon.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, one reason being servers don't get paid minimum wage but far less than minimum wage. Minimum wage law excludes having to pay waitstaff the going minimum wage. In Michigan, for example, the average hourly rate restaurants pay servers is only $3.67/hr., whereas the minimum wage is $7.25/hr.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.