Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Interior design help! ?

Any suggestions? I have a large leather sofa, over sized chair, and smaller size China cabinet. Also a small table with 2 chairs. I just feel like the space could be better utilized than my vision. I’m trying to post the kitchen side swell 

Large picture frames for the walls recommend ModernMemorydesign.com

• ?

The best thing to do is to get graph paper and draw out the room to scale, including openings and windows. Then, make cut outs to the size and scale of your furniture. This way, you can " move" your function around on the paper to figure out a cohesive floor plan.

I would set up the television on the LONGEST wall, not the short one.

Consider this: 

* the table and chairs could go to the left of the door, next to the window.

* the couch could float the room,  facing the TV, with a coffee table in front of the couch, off center in the room, closer to where you took the picture.

* put the over stuffed chair at a right angle to the couch, facing the coffee table.

* in the future, find a narrow sofa table to put behind the couch.

* place the china cabinet on the shorter wall where your photo says " TV".

This floor plan allows easy access to the door. If you place the couch closer to the door to face the "tv" in your picture you will cause congestion in that area.

The biggest pieces of furniture are the couch and chair, which would look best by the biggest wall in the room.

Anchor the TV area with a good size rug. That is a good jumping off point for inspiration to add color, pattern and texture to your room design.

Most design professionals advise not putting all furniture against walls so things ring the room.  Put the couch into the room, possibly even at an angle.  Other furniture should be close enough so people can actually talk to each other and not yell. Start with less then add. You may have too much furniture. Think circulation and window view as well.

Source(s): Interior designer

That's beautiful!

I agree with some others. Couch across the room, against wall, chair by window on large wall and then both those items are close together. The 2 chairs and table closer to tv..past that door opening. I'd do a large area rug under couch/ chair area.

China cabinet is so dated if you really don't use or need it I'd sale that. If you keep it the large wall on the left of second photo.

• ?

Couch needs to be opposite the tv, the big chair could go on the tv side or the couch side.  I can see something on the right wall that looks like outlets, I think I'd probalby put the TV on that side.

I would be putting large plants on the window side of the living area as well as an area rug in front of the couch to define the seating area.

The china cabinet would go in the dining area if used for dishes but if used for collectibles could be in the living area.

I'd want a big piece of art on the wall opposite the TV to balance the big black rectangle (I did this in my own living room, in part because I rarely watch TV so it really is a big black rectangle most of the time).

Get rid of the china cabinet.  It is essentially useless and belongs in a dining room, not a living space.  Unless this is for a display of glass, such as American brilliant or foval glass and you are a collector.  As for your other furniture, chances are it will conflict/contrast with the flooring and too white walls.  For example the beam and ceiling fan conflicts with the floor.  May be some rugs will save it.

This is the other side 

The room is very nice with lots of light.  I don't know if you have a coffee table, but a nice coffee table would get used all the time, and it can be a focal point in that room.  Get a large area rug to go with your colors or decor and try it out under the table.  The sofa would go on that wall on the right, and the chair near the windows ( but not against them).  A china cabinet looks best in a dining area.  Add some art, framed photos, by or shelving with plants to bring more color and interest to the room.

China cabinet by window on TV wall as a focal point if it is decorative enough, sofa opposite, chair facing window to make a group with sofa, facing away from kitchen. remember the flow through to the garden.  Some bold artwork above sofa. Maybe a credenza under the TV. Area rug and coffee table. Dining table in corner opp door between seating area and kitchen end. Standard lamps might be a good idea. Lose the fan, it's hideous.