Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it still possible in 2021 to find a decent, running used car for under $1,000?

Not really, no.

Anything you are going to find that cheap is going to be on it's last legs.

Right now all of the cheaper used cars have been bought up because people have been getting an extra $600/week if unemployed. They also have been getting stimulus checks. I just spent a week looking for a heaper used car and you'll have to spend $5000 to find anything worth buying.

• ?

I’m sure it is. The problem with a $1000 runner is how far it’s going to run. End if the street maybe if you’re unlucky.

Yes, but you need to know where to look and have connections. If you don't mind minor body damage, you can get some steals. My 1998 Pathfinder cost $200 a little over a year ago. 

Save $600 more and I can get a Mazda sedan, they are usually reliable

Not real likely but anything is possible. Depending where you live if you have to do state inspections and how long till it expires. Cash for Clunkers that they had during the Obama years pretty much wiped out good used cars that were cheaper!

YES! I find them ALL THE TIME! Had TWO VW GTIS for $500 each that were only NEGLECTED and needed a few SUSPENSION PARTS like tie rods and control arms! or TIMING BELT< etc! Most people just do NOT take care of their cars because they just plainly DO NOT KNOW HOW or NEVER read the owner's manual! BEEN to LOTS of AUTO AUCTIONS outside Detroit! The GOOD NEWSD is that most every make and model gets RATED as it ages! MANY CARS will NOT last as long as others will! DESIGN flaws, etc! Using CONSUMER REPORTS you can tell which ones to BUY and which one to AVOID! I also use CARGURUS and CARS.com as guides! I bought TWO USED benz cars for $3,000 each on line! GREAT IDEAS! NO issues at ALL except auto theft! (****). I had one UGLY RUSTED FORD TAURUS that Iust LOVED to drive! it was rusted HAKLF WAY down all the doors like a SKELETON! But it DROVE like a BMW# and got 30 MPGS every day! CONFY WSEATS and GREAT stereo factory system! Almost as good a s a BOSE unit! ASK your RELATIVES! They MAY have a used car with ISSUES that they will sell you CHEAP! Or just look in the NEWSPAPER! I have BLUEPRINTED about 30 or more BMW CARS, and they were AKLL collectors items! CHEAP CARS are BETTER than PRICIER cars anywyas! They have ALREADY lost the battle with depreciation, and r4each a BASE LINE! You can ever get WARRANTIES on some of them, based on RELIABLIITY and other variables like SAFETY in CRASHES! LOOK UP CLUNKERS or go to a few JUNK YARDS looking for REBUILDABLE WRECKS! Call 1-800 ALL AUDI for good used AUD CARS! HAPPY HUNTING!  

• arther

not where I live registration fees are $700 more like $5k for a roadworthy running 15 year old car now. for $3k you would find something that will set you back $5k by the time it has 12 months rego and roadworthy.

As we all drive pretty fast with lots of traffic the day of the shitheap is gone if you don't have decent tyres get off the road. tyres for most light trucks will set you back $1k . 

• Anton

Depends on when/where you are, but in L.A. Craigslist there is a '97 Dodge Neon for $800 and a '97 Nissan Sentra with minor body creases for $900.

You can still buy a running, driving car around here where I live for $1000. It may last 1 day or 1 year. You never know.