Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

No law is more ridiculous than a property tax, isn't it?

You will have to perpetually pay a rent to a land you own, and if you don't, you will lose an ownership and evicted out of your own property? How is this anything an "owning a land?" This is nothing but same as borrowing a land from a feudal lord.

Update:

I know property tax is not renting a land, I'm just referencing it to indicate how virtually the same what you will end up paying. Learn to read. 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

What are we to do for government services in any state that has no sales tax or income tax, if we also abolish property tax?  Not too smart.

• a
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I don't know if it's true everywhere, but where I live, about half of the property tax goes to support the public schools. Before you say "I don't have kids" remember that a well educated population is good for society in general. (Clearly, you aren't old enough to have taken a civics class yet, or you slept through it.)

Fire department, rescue services, and police department are subsidized by taxes. Even out little suburb pays the county for a deputy to patrol and respond to calls here. 

Some roads are maintained by the state, those that aren't are maintained by the town. They are repaired and re-paved on a regular basis. Those roads are plowed and salted in the winter. Someone collects the trash, so people don't just throw it into a hole in the backyard.

In a city, city councilors and a mayor make decisions on the city's policies and growth, in accordance with a city charter. a smaller town may have a board of selectpersons who do the same. Those people get stipends for their work, a mayor of a big city may get a salary.

• 2 months ago

Going a step further with this question,I have to ask how is it possible for a person to own a piece of the earth?.Thinking about that,it seems ridiculous for someone to claim that the piece of the planet they inhabit belongs to them .They may as well claim ownership of the moon.

• 2 months ago

First, it's not a rent.

Second, not having it would be even more ridiculous, because it pays for the police and fire departments, so without it, all your property would get stolen or burn up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You want roads to your house, don't you?  Remember, you never own mineral rights.  Property taxes cover some things that we rarely think about.  Be thankful that you don't live in Mexico.  There is NO home ownership.  They call it buying a home but the fact is, you can only lease a home in Mexico.

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

you are renting , not got a loan to by , dont forget it , tax on land pays for road maintenance , rubbish collection , parks , meeting places and libraries you fool . even the government pay property tax .atleast we know how you trolls think , the dont think ..

• 2 months ago

You apparently don't own land. If you did you would understand where the money goes,  you get a form that shows the breakdowns.   Garbage pickup. snow plowing on your street, road repair and street lighting,  some for the school district,  sewer maintenance,  etc.  THIS is what your property tax pays.

• 2 months ago

Another moronic and unthinking question.

Where do you think the money for fire and police protection comes from.  The cost of public schools, parks, and all other county and city services.

• 2 months ago

It's the cost of home ownership!

• 2 months ago

Conversely, you could have no police, fire, roads, water, sewer, or other infrastructure.  Eliminate property tax, some other tax goes up.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.