Anonymous

Would getting a job affect a disability benefits case?

Long story short: my sister has very painful rashes and she has had trouble holding down a job because of that. Though I and she does believe that she's able to work a part time job, she has found even that to be difficult for her. Because of this, she has been unemployed for a very long time and she's having a lot of trouble with money. She just got off our parent's health insurance, so now she's uninsured and having a lot of problems affording her meds and doctor's visits. She tried applying for Medicaid but she was denied for some reason. Now her case with disabilities is pending and she wants to apply for a job, but she doesn't want to be denied for disabilities because she doesn't look disabled or whatever. I feel like a lot of this is due to stress and I've been trying to convince her to do it, but she's been using her disabilities case as an excuse to not do it. I don't want to push her into doing something she can't do but I feel like a job would benefit her in more ways than one even if it doesn't have many hours. Would that affect her case? I don't know much about this stuff.

I don't know how this works anywhere else in the world. I can only speak for the U.K., having been on Disability benefits, meself in the past, and I can tell ya that, as far as I know- (unless it's changed since I was on Disability), your sister's allowed to work up to, but not including sixteen hours a week, before it knackers her benefit money. So like, she's allowed to work fifteen and a half hours a week or less. I suggest ya look into that. 

• If Medicaid rejected her, it is unlikely SSA would find her medically eligible. Part time employment, especially entry level will not impact her eligibility.

NO< being rejected for medicaid does NOT mean she is not likely to qualify for SS.

medicaid eligibility is based on financial eligibility.  maybe there was an error, maybe single adults not on disability don't qualify in your state.

a person who is severely disabled and earns less than 1310/month can qualify for SSI/SSDI