Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Gas fumes coming through air vents?

So I have been having this problem for a while now. Whenever I have the air or heat on in the car, the smell of gas fumes comes through the vents, it stinks really bad. It’s only when the ac/heat is off or its on recirculation that the smell doesn’t come through. Also, when standing outside even a decent distance away from the car this strong smell is noticeable. One other symptom is a loud humming towards the front of the car. Since this is most likely an exhaust problem, could it mean I have been breathing in carbon monoxide or huffing gasoline fumes? How toxic to the health of the driver/passengers is this car problem? By the way I drive a 2010 Nissan Altima if that matters.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Most folks with a brain would realize a motor gas leak is dangerous and go to a mechanic immediately.

• Rita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

A gas leak is a very serious issue that may cause you to smell gasoline while you're driving your car. ... In some cases, the vent hose connected to your fuel tank will leak, which will cause gas vapor to leak out of your fuel system. Gas leaks can be very dangerous, as gas puddles under your car can easily catch on fire.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

TROLL ALERT:  no would could possibly be that f-ing stupid . . . . although Robert M comes close.

• 2 months ago

ANSWER is SIMPLE here! WHAT OIL are you using! I will bet EL CHEAPO oil changes! VALVOLINE and other WAX based oil actually CAUSE bad things to happen! OPEN THE HOOD and check the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR on the FUEL RAIL! it will have a VACUUM to it! iIf GAS spurts out it is a BAD SENSOR! Try washing the ENGINE BAY with GUNK ORANGE original engine cleaner at a DIY CAR WASH! with engine RUNNNIG! If there is a DISTRIBUTOR focus the water spray AWAY from it! >>>buy a can of AMSOI POWER FOAM and clean the INTAKE SYTEM and PCV system! CHANCES are GOOD that your IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE and THROTTLE BODY are clogged FULL of BAKED IN cheap oil And the IAC ca =n NO LONGER function! OIL choices are CRITICAL to engien life! And SYNTHETICS are like NASA technology! i have customers with 427,000 miles, 360,000 miles and many with 250,000 PLUS miles with ORIGINAL exhaust and pricey CONVERTERS on them! FOPR GOS sakes do NOT take any RISKS here! ANY OIL CHANGE center should be SMART enough to see WHAT the issue is! PERHAPS the O2 sensors has DROPPED out of the EXHAUST system and there is now a HOLE in it! They can SEE under the car and check for LEAKS as well! A LEAKING FUEL LINE is DANGEROUS to EVERYONE! Perhaps a fuel hose is LOOSE! Just get a FREE CHECK UP at any OIL CHANGE CENTER if ONE will not help , go to ANOTHER one! Till you get SATISFACTION! Perhaps there is a RECALL from NISSAN! Here you go to the DEALERSHIP and see if it is SO! THEY should ALSO check for FREE as your LIFE is at stake here! That should be a FREE test for you! BYE NOW!

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's a fuel leak ya fackin moron

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Take your car to a mechanic IMMEDIATELY with the windows OPEN before you become an statistic.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

get it fixed fuel leak is my guess make you feel sick sniffing petrol fumes while riding in the car

• 2 months ago

Get your car repaired. Gas fumes come from unburned fuel leaking. Exhaust fumes come out the exhaust port through the manifold, through the pipes and anwhere along that which leaks . We have no argument that makes your car behave like you want. It will take wrenches and know how.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.