Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty ยท 1 month ago

Why like the UK Royal Family, they are relics of a bygone era?

Prince Harry's selfish behaviour should be warning about how bad the to really are. The principal of the matter is they are bad for society an insult to democracy, how can you say they are better than you, how am I supposed to respect them?

Update:

It is not a rant, ideologically I don't agree with their continued existence, it just adds to the class system in the UK.ย 

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm a US citizen. And I just don't see any need for an aristocracy. I understand tradition and harmony with the past.

But the fact is they get money for just being born. And that wouldn't go over well here for sure. And I just can't see any real need for a monarchy.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Aw, this has been done many times before. Letโ€™s have something original.ย 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well, there are other royal families around the world, some of them actually good looking and interesting.

• East
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You want Donald Trump as your head of state?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Our Queen Our choice to retain a Monarchy that pays for itself

and we dont have the Bloody Rubbish of elections like the USA where people die i

• 1 month ago

I think the problem with the monarchy is that it's bad for the mental health of the Royals, and they need to be rescued from it for their own sake.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's you who is a relic of an bygone eraย 

• I agree with you 100%. The idea that someone should be worthy of respect just by having been born to a particular father is mediaeval. Especially when the father isn't the person cited on the birth certificate anyway.ย 

• 1 month ago

Theyโ€™re just a sort of monument or museum. Donโ€™t take it so seriously.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yet another anti-royal rant based on misinformation and the poster's bias.

Monarchy represents continuity, stability, and a power over mere party politics.

Harry has not been as totally selfish as you wish to believe. He has had enough of the media and trolling harassment--stories filled with inaccuracies, lies, racist hate about his wife and child. You seem to have forgotten that Harry's mother was hounded to death by media intrusion. Harry is now making his own money, receives nothing from the Crown Estates, pays for his American security detail from his own coffers---not exactly as selfish as you put it.

Monarchy ii Britain has been slimming down to essential official working royals, something that Charles started several years ago, recognizing that people don't quite understand how the monarchy is financed, thinking that royals took tax payer monies. Charles has trimmed the number of working royals. The Crown Estate or the Duchy of Cornwall provides funding only for official works of the monarchy. Tax payers fund security and certain municipal services attached to royal events.ย  Monies for personal expenses comes from businesses and investments run from the Duchy of Lancaster, the Duchy of Cornwall, Balmoral Castle, Sandringham House, and Highgrove House.

Britain is a constitutional monarchy, a democratic form of government as Parliament is elected. It is not bad for society; if monarchy were bad for society, it would no longer exist as a form of government preferred by those who still employ it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.