Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Philosophically speaking, is suicide wrong?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Usually, yes - very occasionally it might be appropriate

• 2 months ago

Psychologically answering. It is considered unhealthy and not productive.

• 2 months ago

YES!  There are SEVERE karmic repercussions for it.  And whatever the person is committing suicide to run from will be the main issue they have to deal with in their next reincarnation.  also, a suicide should does NOT go to the same place as their loved ones.  Their soul goes through a long purification before they are reincarnated.  

• J H
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

People do it.  Not ALL are depressed.  Some don't like living.

Some see it as futile.  Then, some are in constant pain, physical or mental.

Some just can't face what they did once caught out.

Some are on heavy drugs, want OUT.  They did drugs to get out, didn't work.

Should they just suffer with no idea or hope for relief?

I think NOT.

I think suicide individual rather than collective belief.

And the individual might say they think suicide WRONG but they're doing it.

So, neither right nor wrong.  

Sartre thought it a philosophy and reasonable.

I don't want to ever make any belief for others.

If someone had no hope of managing or coping, aren't they in a terrible trap?

Should they be offered free counseling first?  Not to try to change their mind but help them better see their position?  Yes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Philosophy is love of wise dominion ("wisdom").

Self-murder generally indicates psychological problems.

The mercy of modern counseling and/or medical hospice care, and the social grace that may pay for the facilities, techniques of care, and caring professionals, indicates how psychological and/or other serious problems ought be wisely dealt with.  So yes, self-murder is wrong, philosophically; contrary to Camus, self-murder is not a philosophic question. 

• 2 months ago

I don’t wax on about it philosophically.  It’s mostly a result of a severe depression which is an illness.

Is a death from cancer philosophically wrong? 

I mourn the death of the person and I mourn a society that puts the shame on the individual rather than not asking itself why it has failed to treat people’s depression, or to alienate people who feel differently. Philosophically what is wrong is how little we care about all people. 

• 2 months ago

No, in fact it is the ultimate in self determination.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Unless the person committing it arranges for the mess to be cleaned up, all the paperwork and other legal stuff to be taken care of, the funeral, burial or cremation to be paid for, the required doctor, coronor and other medical people paid, and any psychological trauma inflicted upon others to be addressed, the answer is a great big YES. iT'S MORALLY WRONG TO INFLICT ALL THAT ON OTHERS. 

• 2 months ago

Philosophically speaking, to characterize something as "right" or "wrong" is to make a subjective evaluation.

• 2 months ago

Yes, of course.  Everyone is genetically unique and there will never be anyone quite like you again,  so why destroy a gift of nature? 

Your mother didn't carry you for nine months so you could destroy yourself. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.