Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Is this correct? Why and why not? ?

'Someone once recommended me to use a different toothpaste.'

Is it recommended me, recommended to me, recommended I should or anything else?

Did I break any rule?

• RP

It seems adequate, but there are many alternatives. For example, Someone once recommended that I use a different toothpaste. It could also be recommended to me, but the "to" is optional, not required.

It's not exactly a rule but traditionally we say "recommended something to me" not "recommended me something." I know, you can say either "told something to me" or "told me something." No one ever said languages are logical. You can see from other answers that there are several other ways to express it.

Not sure of all the rules of grammar. But this sounds 'clunky'.

"Someone once recommended, that I should use a different toothpaste". You don't need "to me". That's contained in 'that I'. 

Source(s): Native American English speaker.

The problem here is that you cannot recommend to use a different toothpaste to me (to someone).  You can only recommend using a different toothpaste.  gerund rather than infinitive.  Since you have no declared object when you employ "to use a different toothpaste", this forces an interpretation that the "me" is the direct object of the recommendation (not the indirect object as intended).  He recommended me for the job, sure, but not he recommended me to drive slowly.

This is an obscure "rule" in that the verb "recommend" is one of a group of such verbs which only take the gerund as the direct object ("suggest" and "tolerate" would also be in that group.  There is another group of such verbs that only take the infinitive as direct object (such as "agree" or "promise").

I don't know that there is a logical reason for this distinction. It would seem to me to be similar to how the use of masculine of feminine for a noun in another language is something something that you have to learn because that is what they do.  This is an English language equivalent to "what darn gender is the noun?".

We don't think about it because we know from childhood.  I would have to look up which verbs fit which category, but I would know a wrong use without even thinking.

I would have said not in formal writing - 'Someone once recommended that I use a different toothpaste.' I don't think  what you have is incorrect, certainly it is used enough to be acceptable but is probably more common in US English than UK. The objection (if there is one) is that the construction is similar to you being recommended to someone else, that you almost need to look at twice. so that ytou do not anticipate a different ending.