Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

If CO2 is trapping warm air in the upper atmosphere, why do people who summit MT. Everest wear parkas and use air packs?

I just watch a video on people climbing Mt Everest and when they reach a certain height they don cold weather clothing and use air packs to breathe. Mt. Everest is not at the top of the atmosphere.

The alarmists claim that CO2 traps heat in upper atmosphere, where it then radiates back heating the Earth. Who is lying?

Update:

I see only one answer that explains back radiation and how cold low pressure air cold would not be able to warm the Earth's surface. Common sense does tell you cold cannot warm anything.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The back radiation feature of the mythical greenhouse effect theory defies the 1st and 2nd Laws of thermodynamics. Recycling CO2 to the surface and back again is call a "perpetual engine machine" which violates the 1st L of T. The 2nd L of T is violated because at the top of the atmosphere it is minus 50C and heat only flows from warm to cold, not the other way around.

Therefore, the Anthropogenic Greenhouse effect is debunked. The alarmists are lying.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I just watch a video on people climbing Mt Everest and when they reach a certain height they don cold weather clothing and use air packs to breathe. Mt. Everest is not at the ... If CO2 is trapping warm air in the upper atmosphere, why do people who summit MT. Everest wear parkas and use air packs? I just watch a video on ...

• 2 months ago

The "upper atmosphere" is far higher up than the peak of Mount Everest. Plus, even though it's getting warmer, it doesn't mean it's no longer COLD.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because they survive off the come in their rectums, much like a camel. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because you cannot breathe CO2. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can't breahte CO2 that is why they use air packs. The higher the altitude the less oxygen there is.

• 2 months ago

It is very cold on top of Mt Everest I would think

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You have misunderstood; CO2 does not trap warm air. Though some "alarmists" have said CO2 traps heat, when trying to offer a simple explanation of the greenhouse effect to those with little scientific understanding, none have claimed this happens in the upper atmosphere.  Indeed, the upper atmosphere is cooling, as increasing CO2 levels retain more energy near the surface.

Cold weather clothing and oxygen are used as the mountaineers would not last long without them.

• 2 months ago

The alarmists are misusing the science they think they understand.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can't expect a few degrees of global warming--which IS INDEED causing climate change-- to matter much at high elevations like Mt. Everest. Plus, the atmosphere is thin that high up. You need supplemental oxygen to breathe.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Global warming is a farce. Only sheeple believe the BS

Current Atmospheric CO2 concentration: 420ppm

Average CO2 concentration for past 400 million years: 1700ppm

Plant growth retardation begins: 250ppm

Plant growth nearly ceases: 200ppm 

We are currently only 220ppm away from extinction and these idiots want us to reduce our CO2 emissions? .. seriously?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.