Breakthrough asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Is boredom sometimes beneficial?

I’ve been depressed for most of my life three reasons that fluctuated in importance which were stress / boredom / loneliness. 

During CoVid lock downs I decided that pleasure leads to depression so I stopped dancing and listening to music and playing computer games and watching tv beyond the daily news and I stopped dining at restaurants or reading for fun - I read informative books to boost my intelligence or writing ability and I forced myself to be productive every day and if I did not have a lot of chores I would read or create book outlines.

Now my loneliness has totally disappeared even though I have not socialized with a friend at my house since December and have not had a phone conversation since around that time too. I actually think my depression was caused by my over dependency on my social connections and that losing friends made me less lonely. 

Favorite Answer

This is a very interesting insight. You're clearly someone who knows how to make lemonade out of the lemons life gives you, and you'll find ways to adjust after the pandemic. By the way, there's a lot of things that can help with depression, and if you want some advice about this I have advice from experts about standard treatments and self-help in my answers.