Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Do animals born in captivity and kept in small cages know that isn't where they are meant to be?

Even for pet fish kept in small tanks, even though they have never seen a river or the sea, will they think "this isn't right, I shouldn't be here I should be in a tank 100x this size with 100s more fish around me?". Fish have small brains but they have been around since almost as long as life itself and it's only very recently man came along and started keeping animals in cages or tanks.

Or because all they have ever known since birth is a small cage or tank, will they be happy and just accept that?

• ?

No, they do not know. How can they know? Plus, you are being anthropomorphic. You are attaching human thought processes to animals. That is wrong.

To make a correction to a major error fish have not been around almost as long as life. Fish have been around for about 530 million years (530 000 000 years). Life has been around 3.5 billion years, i.e. 350 thousand million years (3 500 000 000 years). So there have been fish on Earth only for the most recent 15% of time since life appeared.

What can, and does, happen to an animal in captivity is that its captive environment means it is unable to carry out its full repertoire of normal behaviour. This can have a detrimental effect on it. You will see animals in captivity demonstrating unnatural behaviours which they repeat over and over again.

I am not opposed to the keepijg of animals in captivity but they should be kept in such away that they are stimulated to behave as normally as possible. I am pleased to say my own field, animal behaviour, is not seriously looking at the behaviour of captive animals and their welfare.

• ?

They seem to know they are safer there .

With many that are self aware it is against their innate instincts.

Fish are not one of those.

They become something you feed, nothing more.

Different when you have a bond with them.

Why most of my fur pets had free run of the house, like my skunk, possum, porcupine. They had a cage but that was where their bed was and slept. My rodents had free run when I was around.

Door wide open, they could leave any time they chose, but they knew where home was. Always came when called.

My bugs and spiders, they had no clue they were in any cage and even a few of those were free roam, they just never left their web.

Fish ? they need an appropriate size aquarium and proper setup, especially aquatics like hermit crabs, and octopus.

• ?

The ones that don't reproduce in captivity probably do yes