Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

How the hell do i reply to this apology that just got sent to me?

I'm more of a reader than a texter but i feel like i should reply to this but i don't know how! I don't know what to say?

"I'm sorry for making you feel overwhelmed and upset. A sudden family death on the 19 September led me to act erratically and clingy for months, but bugging my friend for company was wrong, rude and disrespectful. I wish i had never done this and can't believe i did, it went against everything i think is right. On reflection, i understand why you were upset. I know my overtexting was unacceptable and i'm sorry i was not respecting your texting boundaries and space at this hard time.I hope you will accept my apology after some time and space, i would hate for my mistake to stop us talking forever. I learned from this but once again, i'm sorry. I wish you the best and hope you're ok.And I just wanted to let you know that even if you reply to this, you won't hear back from me. You deserve some space and i want to fix this by giving you that for a while."

They basically kept texting me way too many times in a short space of time and it made me really pissed off and not wanna talk, but now i know what caused it i feel awful 

The texts seemed so normal, but it's not like them to text that much

She is?

"Hi (name) thank you for taking the time to type such a heartfelt apology. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened I hope you're doing ok now! Thank you for recognising I need some space, I will get back to you after some more of that" 

Seriously if you keep ignoring them, you could cause them to feel worse. They've taken the time to apologise from the bottom of their heart. The decent thing would be to acknowledge them, even if you don't feel ready to accept the apology or talk about it. 

Oh you know what? You might as well just ignore them again, seeing as though it seems like you've done that numerous times already. At this point it seems like your friend doesn't expect you to reply anyway, they seem like they've got you sussed. You're a really bad excuse for a friend If you continue ignoring them after what they were going through. Sounds to me like your friend just wanted a bit of company, but even if they text you 50 times they certainly don't deserve your rudeness! Seems like you don't like being the bad one, but by failing to reply once again after your friend has been the bigger person, that's exactly what you are being. Your friend has feelings too, maybe it's time to remember that.

Ok if you ignore this, you must be one cold hearted *****! Ring your friend up and support them ffs! I don't even know why they are apologising, the one doing that should be you! You basically abandoned them in a time of need. You do realise if you keep ignoring them you're gonna make them feel like absolute ****, or are you enjoying that? If you're getting off on their uncertainty and confusion etc. they're better off without you you don't deserve their friendship. Wtf is wrong with you!? Your friend texts you repeatedly yet you never once ask if they're ok? You're a really bad friend!

• g

This is bullshit, prob written by the same kid that asked repeatedly about sending these texts. If this is real, your friend is asking to hear from you. How hard can that be?

Did you and this person have a falling out? It sounds like a heartfelt apology. You can ignore it but that will leave him/her in limbo. 

I would tell the person that I understand and thank them for recognizing you need space. At least acknowledge you received it.

I think you could let them know you appreciate that they have taken the time to write such a heartfelt apology. The weirdest bit is where they say you won't hear back from them if you reply. So it's like they're basically telling you not to reply...? Unless they don't really mean that and they are assuming you won't respond and so therefore trying to give an impression that they are cool and not bothered. Obviously they are respecting your space so maybe they think you may reply but that you need time to think. Be open to their apology and try to be forgiving. It all depends on your friendship and how you feel about the person. Apologising is not easy, admiting you are wrong takes guts. Even if you don't want to continue with a friendship I feel this message will give you closure and even if you don't want to respond, they did something kind and thoughtful and that is positive. 

This has been very well thought out by the sender, it sounds really sincere! But I too would find it very difficult to respond to. Don't thank them, cos that comes across as smug and condescending. Don't mention the death, you will probably upset them more. On the other hand, if you leave it? They might think you just don't give a ****. And if they have anxiety it'll be even worse! If they're anxious it will keep playing on their mind. I honestly don't know what you should do here. Have you not been talking to this person? I'd give it a few months and see if they come back.