Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Now that Mr Potatohead is gender-neutral are the Toy Story movies bigotry and should be canceled?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

When is Joe Biden going to drop the "white" from the White House?

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

wonders if there is no mr potatohead and no mrs potatohead , where do we get potatoes from ..

• 2 months ago

I have a better idea, how about you leftists stay in north america, while us normal headed individuals leave and go somewheres else. You can keep your fuckin toy story and other entertainment media you messed up.

• 2 months ago

No.  There are loads of children's media which contain outdated attitudes.  The past shouldn't be rewritten.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hi
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Angels with Silver Wings: Don't feminism and liberals worship evils such as homosexual sex, premarital sex, "gay marriage" ,and males who identify  as "female"  competing in women's sports ? ...Sorry but you are mistaken ..Third wave feminists are responsible for the high rates of AIDS (and other STDs) along with people being "confused" about their gender 

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

lol  how do you cancel that which already exist   a dictionary is helpful to understanding  CANCEL  verb  for a person to DECIDE  or announce  that a ( PLANNED future  EVENT )  will NOT TAKE PLACE     the event of  making the  movies toy story already took place

BIGOTRY  is  obstinate and intolerant  devotion to ones OWN OPINIONS and prejudice

presenting the FACTS  that there are Binary  and NON binary gender is NOT  intolerant   or devotion to ones own opinion

rather the contrary  it is  the inclusion  and recognition of such persons  its merely the presentation of a FACT

• Elana
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

OK, so George Washington had slaves, does this mean the US should pretend George Washington didn't happen?

Celebrate the parts of whatever for the aspects that improved things for people, ignore the rest.

I would argue that the most important thing Washington did was to step down after 8 years truly re-enforcing the idea that the United States was not ruled by a dictator, that it was a function of the Constitution.  Yup, he had slaves.  He also picked his nose.

Similarly, Mr. Potatohead is a great toy for teaching young people about how your view of something is actually broken down into parts.  It's great for manipulating small things, re-enforces some idea of what a face is etc, etc.

THAT's what the toy brings to us.

Does it bring a gender stereotype?  Maybe.  Personally, since it is easy to change the packaging (slightly) and remove this aspect, why not, it's easy to keep selling the fundamental toy.

However, the MOVIE has value and CANNOT be changed without being significantly re-shot.  I think it is absolutely stupid to get rid of the movie for the few aspects are dated.

If you want to put a warning at the beginning of the movie ... well, I think that's idiotic, but ... oh hell, sure ... but get rid of the movie?  No.

Very few movies have a shelf life beyond 10 years, almost none beyond 30 years.  How many movies do you watch are more then 30 years old?  Certainly, your 8yo won't be watching them.  Sorry, but the exceptions prove the rule in this case.

If you're watching an old movie, you know you are watching an old movie.  I would hope you also know that things change over time, and certainly cultural norms change.

So, in a serious answer to a question I know you meant to be flip, I have no problem with changing the toy to be more inclusive *AND* keeping the aspects that are difficult to change around as-is.

The trick is to generally push in one direction, not to destroy the world in an effort to be politically correct, especially when the definition of "politically correct" is fleeting.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Gender neutral people are less than 1% of the population.  If you think everything gendered should not be gender-neutral, you're CRAZY.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Any movie which portrays people as having a distinct gender should be boycotted and sued for discriminating against gender neutral persons.  

• 2 months ago

depends on who's in charge of them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.