Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

San
Lv 6

Do these sentences mean the same thing?

A. He brought a packet of mixed nuts for a snack.

B. He brought a small bag of mixed nuts for a snack.

Thanks!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not really, only in minor detail.  The bag might not be a packet, but a small packet is usually also called a bag.  A large packet will not be a bag, usually.   box or a carton, or something along those lines, but no longer a bag.  Bags themselves are not necessarily closed and sealed (they can be; do not have to be), but that is what we think when we call it a packet.

Most of us would say "a bag of nuts" even if the term "packet" would be a better or more precise description.  We would be talking about exactly the same thing though, whether we said bag or packet.  This is probably partly because peanuts (and other such things like loose candies) were only sold in bags until the plastics revolution allowed prepackaging in packets.  It is sort of like how we still say dial a phone even if there are no longer any dials to dial.

Packet means sealed, as a very general idea.  If it is not sealed, it is not really a packet.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

In British English, a packet would be commercially packed. Americans would not use packet that way (but would understand it). Americans would have a bag of nuts, which might or might not be commercially packed.

• RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes. A packet and a small bag are essentially the same.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

A packet is smaller.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The only exceptionally small difference I can think of between these is that a packet (to me) would be a smaller amount than a small bag. Other than that, there is no other difference.

• 2 months ago

Essentially the same thing. But the second specifies the amount.

A. The word 'package', is generally used. Not 'packet', in American English

But grammar and spelling are right

Source(s): Native American English speaker
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No - B is more specific about the quantity.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I just imagine a different size package when I think of "packet" vs "a small bag".

Otherwise, the basic meaning is the same.  

• 2 months ago

Yes except in B the packet of nuts was smaller.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

they mean the same thing because a packet is a small bag - usually this sentence would be 'as a snack' rather than 'for a snack' but it is still ok

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.