Connor asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

CVS won’t allow me to refill my Adderall prescription a day early. Why? ?

My doctor already approved and sent my refill paperwork digitally to CVS. This location has always filled my script a day early. The pharmacist this morning told me I couldn’t get it refilled until March 2nd the day after my refill is due. I googled and looked at CVS’s policies on the refill specifically schedule 2 drug refills and it’s stated you can get it refilled 2 days early. I’ve never had this issue before and with my current schedule it’s hard for me to get my prescription during the week with my pharmacies hours, Is there something I’m missing here? Does the pharmacist working decide on the “2 day or 1 day rule” she specifically told me I couldn’t get it refilled until the day after I’m supposed to discard my current prescription. This is the first time in 3 years I’ve ever heard this. Can someone help explain please? Also not sure if it’s relevant but I live in Virginia not sure if state law affects this. 

My refill date is March 1st. So even if there are 28 days in February, my refill is still due tomorrow on the 1st and the 2 day rule would allow me to refill it under the 30 day supply rule. So My main question is does the pharmacist working decide when I’m allowed to refill? 

• ?

It's more likely that your insurance wont pay for it until then. They control dispensing more than state laws do.

• ?

seems to me he thinks your abusing your medication and you need to give them 24 hours notice when you need a re-fill and one day notice is not good

• Andy C

You be selling it on the street.

• ?

You are running up against the conflict between a company's policies and the scope of practice of a licensed professional. 

Pharmacists are licensed professionals just like doctors. Doctors operate within policy guidelines of their respective institutions, but they are free to practice medicine according to their professional judgement. Policies are policies, they are not laws. They are not government regulations. 

Pharmacists have the professional discretion to not fill a prescription -- the same way a physician has the professional discretion to not write a prescription. They may be disciplined by their employer if their judgment conflicts significantly with company policy or existing law, but they are free to practice to the extent of their education and licensure.  

That includes how early they will fill a given prescription. They have the professional discretion to not fill a prescription for whatever reason they choose within the bounds of prudent practice, and that includes the drug, dose, route, and frequency. 

CVS may ALLOW a pharmacist to refill a prescription up to two days early, but they are not OBLIGATED to do so. The policy establishes CVS's guidelines for practice. The pharmacist determines how they will operate within those guidelines. 

Source(s): RN, MSN, RRT, RPFT

The pharmacy and pharmacist decide very little about your delivery schedule.

It would be based on state law and your insurance company's policy.

State law is going to be what the pharmacy schedule states.  But your insurance company can have a stricter schedule. 

Have you considered using the mail delivery insurance company program?

you are addicted to speed . 

Source(s): no hope . no soap . for a dope .

It may relate to when you last had a prescription filled. Where I am there is a minimum time that must elapse between filling prescriptions.

I KNOW your details are inaccurate in some way, but don't know what you are misunderstanding.

I also know the first anonymous answer has NO CLUE what they are babbling about.