Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Can I press charges against this woman? ?

Last night after I got home from taking my family out to dinner. I came home to a broken window with a big rock on my living room floor. Naturally I checked the entire house to see if anyone was in there or broke in. Everything looked untouched. 

So I go next door to talk ask my neighbor if she saw anything. She said, her kids confessed to throwing it and she blamed it on them for being "bored" and not having anything to do because of "covid" and she just said its pretty much normal for children. 

Now this doesn't sit right with me. I told her Id like to get paid for the damages. She called me absurd and closed the door in my face.

Now I'm a single woman with two kids. I don't feel safe with a broken window. Can I press charges against her?

Police wont do ****, they a bunch of lazy *****. I'd take that same rock and throw it through her window and tell her i got bored because of covid. And when id see them kid i'd beat the **** out of them with a switch

Call the police

The ***** and the kids needs to be taught a lesson 

I would try. You should go to r/legaladvice  on reddit  for this.  what an irresponsible woman and mother. it isn’t ok. 

Against the woman, no. The incident was caused by her children, so they are the ones you would file a complaint against. Most likely the police would give them a scolding and suggest that it should be a civil matter for you to seek reimbursement.

You kind of did this backwards.  Before going over there, you should have activated the recording function on your phone.  Now you have a  "he said, she said" situation and it's very hard to press charges in that situation.  Cops need proof.  It's still worth asking them, though, because if the kids are old enough, they can ask those kids about it.

i would press charges on her

LEGALLY file a Police Report and then file with your homeowners insurance.  Incidentally, YOU can't press charges unless you're the DA and it's your decision to press charges.

Yes, file a report, the woman admitted her children are responsible for the rock through your window and you'd like her to pay for the damages. 

You can try, no doubt, but do you really want to make an enemy of your neighbour? 

However, her rudeness doesn't bode very well for neighbourly relationships, does it? My own suggestion would be to board the window up, get a (fair) quote for the repair and write her a polite letter, enclosing the quote. Tell her that you feel there has been a misunderstanding and you would prefer to avoid the expense and inconvenience of Police, lawyers, etc. That said, you might want to report the matter to the Police for the record, and tell them that you would prefer not to make it official. Ask their advice.Specify a date for the money, and if no satisfaction, then if you can afford to, consult a lawyer. Naturally you will require the neighbour to pay all of your expenses. If they can!

• Glass

You could sue her for the cost to repair the window in civil court. Criminal charges aren't realistic though. They are just kids, and she will either deny the entire conversation she had with you or claim it was an accident. There is no way to prove otherwise, the cops won't investigate further, if they show up at all.