Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

is patio dining safe during the pandemic?

People are eating obviously not wearing mask, they are talking, how about if someone coughs or sneezed.  If there are twenty of us eating someone sneeze and they have covid wouldn't everyone be infected. 

• It's hard to eat or drink when you're wearing a mask. Once some one is done eating or drinking they should put their mask back on. Some people forget to do this. 

If you're not using physical distancing and not wearing a mask while that person sneezed, there would be a good chance of you or people that were too close of getting it. Not every one would get it. People that are using physical distancing and wearing masks shouldn't get it. 

If the person knows that they have covid, they should be at home, to prevent issues like this from happening. 

Personally I wouldn't feel safe. 

A lot of the utensils and dishware in restaurants is covered with tiny particles of human excrement.  This can lead to Covid.

Social distancing should still be used.  But the fact that it's outdoors means the air will carry the germs away to a considerable extent; it will be diluted.  

If somebody coughs or sneezes, of course they should be careful and make sure their mouth and nose are well covered, and/or go some distance from other people.  They should wash or sanitize their hands afterward.  Of course, not everybody who coughs or sneezes has covid.  They may have an allergy or asthma or the lingering effects after a respiratory infection is over.  Or they could have a different contagious disease.  

Even if the person has covid and is careless, it is not guaranteed that everybody will get covid; but it IS highly contagious, so people should be careful and considerate.

it would depend upon how many virus particles were in the air, but yes it's a possibility.  They say 6 feed distance, but the truth is,  when a person coughs or sneezes, those virus germs get tossed up to 20 feet if not further.  And it was said they can also hang in the air.  Plus a few particles won't give a person an infection.  It's complex, right?  

take care

I honestly avoided it last summer because I find the tables to be too close together. Also some locations have tents and heaters but the side panels are still closed so it is technically not outdoors. Additionally if you are eating face to face with friends that are not in your "pod" then it is not safe. If you eat at one table that is at least 6 feet away from another with someone that's already in your "pod" then it's probably okay. I just haven't really seen any scenarios that are set up that way. A better solution is just to order take out and eat outdoors at least 6 feet apart. I personally know 3 people that have died from it and while it's a small percentage of people that do die, I just don't think it's worth the risk, given that they have no idea how to determine who will die from it or who might need hospitalization or just be seriously ill. 13% of mild cases appear to have chronic symptoms months later and why risk it when we are so close to getting everyone vaccinated. It's a few more months of vigilance if the idiots that refuse to mask up will just stop helping to create new and more contagious strains.

Compared to what? Not eating at a restaurant or eating inside the restaurant or getting take out or what?

If none of the visitors to that patio are COVID positive, then it would be very safe.  If a person seating at a nearby tabled or a member of the restaurant staff is COVID positive, then the risk is certainly higher that they could transmit that virus to you in some way.

If you're uncomfortable taking that level of risk, then you shouldn't eat out, regardless of the setup at the particular restaurant -- at least until you've been vaccinated. 

I will put it this way the restaurant could offer me free food all I can eat, all the alcohol I can drink and $5000 cash.  If it were outside dining I would tell them to keep it.