Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

How much did you spend on your wedding dress?

I know finances are personal so if you don't feel comfortable sharing, then simply skip over this question! But if you don't mind sharing, I'm just curious to know what people typically spend. I read from either TheKnot or WeddingWire that the average $ spent on a dress is $1500 but I feel like averages can be so skewed if a few random people spend an exuberant amount of money on a dress and some spend $0 because they wore their mom's or sister's. So just curious to hear from person to person.

1972-----on sale for $100

• ?

I made my dress because I had some ivory fabric in my apartment that was suitable. 

The fabric wasn't expensive. I bought mother-of-pearl buttons to close the back. I think the whole thing cost about $50. It was tea length, and a friend gifted me a pair of pantyhose with little bells embroidered at the ankle and the words, "I do."

As a professional seamstress specializing in bridal fashion, it shocks the daylight out of me to see the prices of some wedding gowns. Especially the high end designers who pay very little to have their collection made in CHINA.  Most wedding gowns are mass produced and made from inexpensive synthetic fabrics. Many are over priced because THAT is what the market will bear.

I made my Wedding gown. It cost me less than $ 50.00. The fabric for my bridesmaid dresses was $ 12.50 per dress! Even a fantastic price for the 1980 's. Gulp- - -40 years ago!

Nice dresses can be found through Anthropology's bridal division...many for under $ 500.00.

My husband's uncle (a fashion designer) made my dress, so I really only paid for the fabric.  

• drip

My gown was over $2000 (back in 1985) but I paid around $1100 because I use to work for the owner of the shop. She gave it to me at cost.

My daughter’s  gown was about $2000.  That included her alterations and bridal slip and tax. 

I don't remember because it was so long ago but I m sure it was not any where near 1500 dollars.  In fact I m trying to remember if my mother made the gown for me...she made my three sisters gowns and bridesmaids dresses.  If that's the case she paid for the fabric and accessories.  I'm sure it wasn't over a hundred or so back then but I was an emancipated minor who got married so the dress was probably a lot less no bridesmaids.

my friend bought hers for like $200 LOL

• ?

I know it was UNDER $1000 with alterations and I was exited about how it turned out. It was black and white which I loved. i didn't even have to wear a bra because there was support in the dress. It was off the rack but needed alterations to fit me perfectly.

Averages can be skewed, depending on your location, and which store  you chose to get your dress from.

$4500, not counting alterations. 

• ?

I bought my dress at a little boutique in town off the rack it was 60 bucks, we got married in the mayor's office and had a nice reception with maybe 40 people.