Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Can you cut off cats eye whiskers?

I recently got a kitty who I rescued from a place he was abused. It seems his eye whispers was cut off. I know its cruel to cut a cat’s whiskers off. But will it do harm to the cat is the whiskers above its eyes are cut off? Is it okay to cut eye whiskers? 

Update:

I’m not trying to cut his eye whiskers off. I’m asking if it’s okay that they had cut his whiskers off. The kitten was very abused. In his own poop, had bad ringworm, worms, fleas, pinkeye

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

But you should never trim them. A cat with cut whiskers will become disoriented and scared. “If you cut them, that's like blindfolding someone, taking away one of their ways of identifying what's in their environment,” says veterinarian Jane Brunt.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

cats whiskers are a bit like antennas, they help the cat navigate its surroundings

• 1 month ago

It's NEVER OK to cut a cat's whiskers!!  They need them for balance and for navigating the darkness.

• 1 month ago

Nope, not okay at all. Whiskers are an important sensory extension and can be considered as part of the body. I'm deeply sorry for your kitty. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, I can't. I never even thought of doing that.

Get a bottle of Clear Eyes ( Natural Tears) & use that often. Whiskers have nerves & cutting them off would be painful to the kitty. Don't do it. Just keep the eyes clean with a clean, wet, cloth & use a natural tears eye drop.

• 1 month ago

I don't recommend cutting any whiskers on a cat, but I'm sure it will be fine and they will grow back now that you take good care of him.  

I don't recommend cutting eyelashes off of people either.  They do have a purpose.

• 1 month ago

It is bad to cut off whiskers, including those by the eye.  A cat can squeeze through just about any space it can get it's shoulders through.  The whiskers held them guage that space.  Without the whiskers, they will have a better chance of getting caught.  

• DK52
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Whiskers take a good bit of time to grow back, but they will eventually. No, it does not "hurt" animals physically to cut their whiskers. It's wrong to cut any animals whiskers. Whiskers are "feelers" that allow an animal to know how close they are to something, how wide a space is and if they can get through, etc. 

• Audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You do not cut ANYTHING of a kitty. Leave him as God made him.

• 1 month ago

Leave it alone. They serve almost the same function as whiskers. It helps them to feel the area around them and protects their eyes. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.