Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 1 month ago

Do you think AEW will eventually overtake WWE in popularity?

I think it will. They're gonna go to an Attitude era type content. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Neither AEW or another wrestling company will overtake WWE in popularity because they are the monopoly of professional wrestling.

• 1 month ago

yes i think it will

• 1 month ago

While I think it’s cool to see AEW gaining some of my favorite wrestlers, I don’t see them really overtaking WWE.  WWE’a pockets are just to deep. I’d love to see AEW take over. 

• 1 month ago

The big show has Paul wright lol that a catch phrase that could sell t shirts 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, AEW is just another TNA, big at first but will fade over time, WWE will always be number one.

• 1 month ago

No company will ever be able to overtake WWE. 

• 1 month ago

No, it won't happen. The only company that came to close (and I use this term loosely because they were not even close at all) since WCW died was TNA and we all know how that went down. AEW is destined to fall too, they get lower viewers than Total Divas

• Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the long run, any wrestling organization trying to challenge WWE is going to have the same problem that WCW and TNA faced:

1) You need enough name talent to get the eyeballs (and AEW has some former WWE talent).

2) You need to develop and keep your own talent.  

There are always some WWE talent that has had it with the McMahons and whom WWE is not willing to pay the money to keep.  But paying the money to get them away from WWE cuts into the money that you can pay your own homegrown talent.  And the former main eventers (Brett Hart, Kevin Nash, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage for WCW; Kurt Angle for TNA) want to be the big star of their new company.  There are very few Ric Flair-types who are comfortable helping push the up and coming young talent as the next big thing.  And when the young talent sees that the big stars aren't willing to make room for them at the top tier, they are going to jump ship to WWE at the first opportunity.  

What ultimately killed WCW and TNA was that, because they couldn't find a way to keep both the old stars and the young stars happy, they became a temporary stopping point for old stars who needed time away from WWE and the equivalent of the minor leagues for young talent -- a place to prove their quality before getting promoted to WWE.  And, ultimately, if fans don't see you as the major leagues, you will not succeed.  

I hope AEW can somehow find a way to keep both sides of the equation working.  There is room for two top level wrestling companies given cable television and streaming services.  But it will take patience to grow into that role.  

• Candle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  Their level or style of content doesn't matter.  In order to overtake the WWE, they'd have to do a couple of things that they currently aren't:

1. Directly oppose WWE's main product.  Right now they're up against NXT and winning, but NXT is a niche brand.  Likewise, AEW is a niche brand that doesn't appeal to mainstream wrestling fans.

2. Out-brand WWE.  Right now there are people who tune into WWE's main product weekly simply because they always have.  Quality of content or level of star power need not apply.  WWE is the Kleenex and Band-Aid of wrestling.  People don't say they need a tissue, they say they need a Kleenex even if the tissue isn't kleenex brand.  People don't say they need an adhesive bandage, they say they need a Band-Aid.  Likewise, casual viewers don't say they watch wrestling anymore, they watch "The WWE", sometimes even if they're tuning into ROH or AEW.  My point is that WWE is synonymous with wrestling.  It has been for 20 years now, and it's going to be a hard hill to climb to get the uninformed involved with AEW and let them know either a. no this isn't the WWE you tuned off to 20 years ago or b. yes, this is prowrestling that is as good or better than the WWE.3. Make even half the business deals that WWE has over the past couple of years: WWE has million dollar deals with Fox and Peacock.  They have television on terrestrial television and an easily accessible back log on another streaming service that has nothing to do with wrestling whatsoever.  WWE is accessible.  WWE is lucrative.  Right now AEW is neither of those things.  Could they be in the future? Maybe, but harking back to point number 2; in order for AEW to get their brand out there on the market they're going to have to show the business industry and television providers that there's someone else out there who can do the things Vince McMahon does and make lucrative money off of wrestling.  It's been almost 40 years since anyone could claim that.  Ted Turner couldn't do it.  WCW was a money pit.  Paul Heyman couldn't do it.  Jim Cornette couldn't do it.  The Carter family couldn't do it.  The Khan family has to prove to the financial world that they can do it before anyone puts any kind of money, air time, advertising, or interest toward their product.  It's true the Khan family are already rich, richer than Vince even, but having money and creating something that can make money are two different things.

• Adam
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I can see it happening. if they appeal to an adult market then they will have a chance. However it may force WWE to come out all guns blazing and AEW could be WCW Mark 2

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.