Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Now that atheism is clearly, and without a doubt, a religion, why do atheists do things in the name of the religion of atheism?

Kieth: yes there are atheist mega-churches, and the first church of atheism.

Anonymous:

If only there was a way to look up the definitions of words...Oh yeah, there is.https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/religion

religionA pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

It seems that among religions, Christians thrive on being attacked. The war on Christmas, the war on fidelity, the threat of gay marriage, all seem to excite and further the Christian cause.

I have never met an evangelical atheist except in the posting on this board. I strongly suspect that evangelicals are promoting atheism as a threat to be reckoned with by Christianity, so as to motivate the believers. So far as I can tell, it ain't so. There's no reward for an atheist or agnostic to torpedo the faith of a believer. In some ways I envy Christians their serenity and certainty in a hereafter. I just can't share their beliefs because of my understanding of the laws of nature. Believe, be happy in your belief, prosper and multiply, but don't make me into your enemy. I'm not trying to change you. Please reciprocate. 

• Jake

Atheism is not a religion--it is a lack of belief in God and gods.

Do not worry Remember there is a reason God will show fearful sights and signs in the heavens He has a plan 

• ?

The way some atheists speak on here i can understand why you'd think its a religion. But the pursuit of verifiable truth is not a religion. Thankfully other countries are not as dumb as america so they don't classify it as a religion...

If only there was a way to look up the definitions of words...

Oh yeah, there is.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/at...

atheism

Syllabification: a·the·ism

Pronunciation: /ˈāTHēˌizəm/

Definition of atheism in English:

noun

Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

My favorite sport is not playing tennis and my hobby is not collecting stamps.  

See what I did there?  I really don't understand why religious people have this weird need to call atheism a religion. 

• ?

From Webster's dictionary, Definition of atheism

1a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods.

So, where's an atheist church? Bars don't count.