Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Now that atheism is clearly, and without a doubt, a religion, why do atheists do things in the name of the religion of atheism?

Update:

Kieth: yes there are atheist mega-churches, and the first church of atheism.

Update 2:

Anonymous:

If only there was a way to look up the definitions of words...Oh yeah, there is.https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/religion

religionA pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It seems that among religions, Christians thrive on being attacked. The war on Christmas, the war on fidelity, the threat of gay marriage, all seem to excite and further the Christian cause.

I have never met an evangelical atheist except in the posting on this board. I strongly suspect that evangelicals are promoting atheism as a threat to be reckoned with by Christianity, so as to motivate the believers. So far as I can tell, it ain't so. There's no reward for an atheist or agnostic to torpedo the faith of a believer. In some ways I envy Christians their serenity and certainty in a hereafter. I just can't share their beliefs because of my understanding of the laws of nature. Believe, be happy in your belief, prosper and multiply, but don't make me into your enemy. I'm not trying to change you. Please reciprocate. 

• Jake
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Atheism is not a religion--it is a lack of belief in God and gods.

• 1 month ago

Do not worry Remember there is a reason God will show fearful sights and signs in the heavens He has a plan 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The way some atheists speak on here i can understand why you'd think its a religion. But the pursuit of verifiable truth is not a religion. Thankfully other countries are not as dumb as america so they don't classify it as a religion...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If only there was a way to look up the definitions of words...

Oh yeah, there is.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/at...

atheism

Syllabification: a·the·ism

Pronunciation: /ˈāTHēˌizəm/

Definition of atheism in English:

noun

Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

• 1 month ago

My favorite sport is not playing tennis and my hobby is not collecting stamps.  

See what I did there?  I really don't understand why religious people have this weird need to call atheism a religion. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

From Webster's dictionary, Definition of atheism

1a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods.

So, where's an atheist church? Bars don't count.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.