Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is it realistic for me to attend an out of state college and still live at home without doing online college?

I live in central Pennsylvania. 

• L

Yes, it is possible.  Example; you live right near the border of another state and the college you want to attend is only 25-50 miles away.......go for it.  However, it is hundreds of miles away - then online is your only choice.

If you were in Harrisburg and had to drive to Baltimore, that could be doable with about an hour to an hour and a half drive time. But something like Altoona to Cumberland, WV would be almost 3 hours and definitely not feasible.

I don't know the specifics as Pennsylvania is a much smaller state than California where I live.  For me, going out of state would mean a 3-4 hour drive east or south (to Mexico) or 12 hours north.  It certainly would not be realistic here.  

My university was 50 miles away and would take me 1 hour without traffic and 3 hours with traffic.  It is conceivable that if you set up your schedule to avoid traffic, if you could limit your drive time to about an hour it could be doable.  I would not recommend it otherwise.  

• Rita

When assessing whether it's prudent to live at home during college, learners have ... at home to be with your family is a great reason to opt out of dorm life. ... school or a school with no on-campus housing For some students, living on ... Despite living at home, commuting college students can still have a full ...

• drip

Commuting more  than an hour drive  is unrealistic. You need to deal with traffic and in your area with bad weather. Plus it could take some time to find a parking space and walk to campus.  Many campuses have very limited parking.  Campus can be open for classes even when the weather is bad.  I can’t get to campus is not an excuse absence.   That hour drive can easily turn into 2 hours in snow.  

Also many schools require all freshman to live on campus. Or with their parents IF the parents live close. 

My son went to school in Tennessee and his grandmother lived in Kentucky. It was literal a ten minute drive to her house.  But living in central Pennsylvania I highly doubt you will be near enough to an out of state school. Drive back and forth each day.

• MS

If that out-of-state college is close enough for you to commute, then sure.  But I don't think that's probably the case if you live in central PA - you won't be especially close to any out-of-state college.

• John

If your statement about central Pennsylvania is accurate, the answer would be be no.  Even attending a college just over the state border, you would probably be commuting at least 3 hours a day.   

It's up to you to do the math. You haven't given us enough information to help you with this decision.

That depends entirely on where home is and how far and how v long you are willing to commute. If home is in the Oklahoma panhandle and you are willing to drive 40.or 50 miles both ways to co to college in Texhoma which is right on the Texas Oklahoma birder, the answer is yes it definitely is possible. 

Central Pennsylvania it is still possible, but that really depends on you. Going to college these days?almost always?requires doing stuff online. There?are often required group projects are you become part of a study group that almost lives in  library computer lab for 4 to 6 hours a night. You can no longer memorize your way through college. That changed 30 years ago in the 1990s. 

doesn't seem so to me ... no