Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Early Alzheimers ?

This disease is almost always associated with old age. Can someone, or have people developed Alzheimers or dementia at younger ages, like 30s - 50s or is this rarely seen?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think there is research that notes symptoms appear as early as the 50's.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it can happen, a friend of mine developed it in his 40's

• 2 months ago

The daughter of a friend of mine  died from it in her 50s but it's rare for younger adults to get it. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

While typically considered an Old People's disease, it is not limited to 'old people'. It can strike as young as 20-but that is Quite rare. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • P.L.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Alzheimer's Disease is found far more often in the elderly but it is not exclusively an older person's illness.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It can start when a person is in his 50’s.  

You can do research on this. Plenty of info in the internet and at your public library 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

People with a learning disability are at greater risk of developing dementia at a younger age. Studies have shown that one in ten people with a learning disability develop young onset Alzheimer's disease between the age of 50 to 65.

• 2 months ago

a friend of mine died from Alzheimer's at age 60, he'd been in an old folks home for Alzheimer sufferers for nearly 10 years from age 50. so sad to see him deteriorate from a great friend and a happy family man.

• 2 months ago

Alzheimer disease most commonly affects older adults, but it can also affect people in their 30s or 40s. When Alzheimer disease occurs in someone under age 65, it is known as early-onset (or younger-onset) Alzheimer disease.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types...

• Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is rarely seen, but that doesn't mean it is never seen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.