? asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

I need cat help?

13 month old male cat. He's a black bobtail cat which means he doesn't have a tail. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough that its become a problem. He does a number 2 in his little box but some remains on him. Usually around bis bum or on ot his bum but I've seen it on his upper leg before. I don't think its diarrhea just fresh soft weird colored poop. When it happens while Im at home I just wash him off but sometimes it happens while im out and I come home to in on the floor in the walls even on furniture! Its disgusting and it needs to stop. I don't think it's diarrhea...there has been no changes in his food since putting him on adult food and this happened while he was a kitten too. He rarely gets table food and sometimes gets soft food as a treat but not often. I have not noticed if this bathroom issues happens more or less when he has the soft food. So I don't know if there's a connection there. Its just so gross. He hates baths and hates being wiped down even more so it's really difficult to deal with this. He only goes in the little box so I know hes not pooping elsewhere on purpose. I've also seen pieces of dried poop around the house which im guessing fell off him and I didn't see it before it had time to try up. This is so gross and im at a loss of what to do. If I call the vet they will just recommend I bring him in so they can make money off me. $70 just for a check up and I'll probably be told hes fine. I'm not a dirty person and hes not a dirty cat.

• PR

A cat should never have poop stuck to its fur, lets, etc. If it does, that means this IS diarrhea. Normal cat poop will simply fall into the litter box with no drama.

The cat either has some sort of parasites, is sensitive to the food you are offering, or you are giving the cat milk. It is unlikely the vet will tell you the cat is fine, if it is in this condition. You can also take a stool sample to the vet, but they usually want to see the cat for an assessment. 

Soft, weird colored describes diarrhea - just not entirely runny diarrhea. Get it treated before it turns into that.

Give him more wet food, less dry food.

Make sure he gets plenty of water.  Cats in the wild get most of their water from fresh kills (blood).  Water aids in digestion and elimination. Consider a washable pet fountain - you can make one yourself with a purchased pump and a stainless steel pot or tall sided bowl.

Get him a larger litter box, the small ones they usually sell are impractical for adult cats. Try using a clear plastic storage box with tall sides. 

You might try changing the type of litter in the box. If the cat doesn't like the smell or the texture, he won't spend enough time in the box to finish his job nicely.

FIRST mistake you're making is having the cat on a diet of DRY food and only occasional soft food.  dry food diet causes urinary tract issues in male cats.  You should have him on a SOFT diet with occasional dry food.  Give him GRAIN-FREE soft food.  

Call an animal clinic. Mr. Kitty needs a yearly check up anyway & an animal clinic is usually run by people that love animals & far cheaper than a vets.

You might try changing the brand of food you are feeding him.

Mine gets a small can of wet food each morning, and dry food in the evening.

Both are Blue Wilderness brand.

Good luck.