Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 2 months ago

Is it safe to store backups on a USB Thumb drive always plugged into my pc?

The thumb drive and my pc will always hold the the same files, and hopefully neither die at once, like I was worried leaving it plugged in might corrupt it if my computer crashes

• Bill-M

No it is not Safe.   The Crypto Virus will encrypt files on the USB as well as on the Hard Drive.  Do your back up then UN Plug the Back Up drive.

• Sky

I agree with the anonymous answer that you should never rely on that to be your only backup, or worse yet, your only copy of anything important.  Even the most reliable thumb drives and memory cards can suddenly get corrupted and quit working.  No method of saving files is 100% reliable, so you should always have multiple copies.

Yes, it's safe to leave it in. But never let a thumb drive hold the only copy of a file.