Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it appropriate for a grandparent shouting at a a parent in front of the grandkids?

If youre trying to raise your kids by not shouting at each other.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It is inappropriate. Adults should set an example of peaceful and calm communication in front of their children and grand children. You must talk to your parents when your children are not there and say that you would appreciate it , if they walk away when they are upset instead of getting upset in front of the children. Everyone gets upset at times but we try to have self control in the way we deal with it. As adults and role models for our children we would want to set the right example on how to solve disagreements and issues in a peaceful way .  https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/family/commu...

100% inappopriate-

My belief is that children should never be brought into adult business, it just creates an all around toxic envirioment for the children in the room! I get it people are going to disagree on certain topics, but, it should never become a fight in front of the innocents.

Nobody is perfect however, and there will be times where it inevitably occur, I am guilty of it myself on occasion. I have 4 nieces and nephews, and I will seldom bring up conflicts I may have with the adults in the room, I keep it to myself, and then deal with it when the kids aren't around. I've only lost my cool once in front of my oldest niece with my sister, I'll admit that in that situation I handled it poorly, in hindsight, I should have walked away from the frey, that's on me. 

I'd say it's almost always inappropriate, but this is pretty vague.  What was she yelling about and does she do this often?  Also, if you live with your mom, this complicates things.  She's in her own home and she can yell at whomever she wants.

i dont think so

It isn't appropriate to think you can control how others act.  If your goal is to raise your kids to not shout at each other you point out to them that those shouting were making a mistake in doing so.  Maybe you will have some humility to admit your own mistakes that led up to your parent shouting at you too.  Kids need to know that everyone makes mistakes at some time.

I can't answer this without knowing the circumstances.  If the parents are putting the grandkids in danger, that's one thing.  If they aren't, that's another.

It's impossible to give an accurate answer without knowing the context of the discussion or what was said between the two sides.   You can't stay in a protective bubble all of your life.   You need to see examples of how "not" to behave.

Consider telling your parent that if it continues, you will break off contact with him or her. 

• donnie

I don't think family drama is something kids need to be around because they mimic it

• mokrie

So no matter how you want to raise kids, you can't make real life follow a script. People yell in this world. Use these moments as a teaching tool and say " see how unpleasant that was? That's why we don't want to behave like that."