Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

maintenance free motorcycle battery?

I Use maintenance free battery for Honda cub 100 cc motorcycle why the battery last for only 12 months then dead

Favorite Answer

Most likely it is either being overcharged (too high a voltage from the charging system), or the charge or discharge currents are higher than it can stand.

(The voltage across the battery should never be higher than 14.8V, for a "12V" system)

Or just the wrong type - eg. a battery designed for such as alarm system backup or computer UPS, on a bike with electric start - that takes very high current & needs a starter-rated battery.

Also, if it is a starter-type battery, if it's ever allowed to go flat that will drastically shorten its life - they can only stand possibly half a dozen full discharge cycles before being wrecked.

Deep Cycle batteries can stand being charged and run flat many times, but generally cannot run a starter motor without damage.

Used within the ratings for each type,  they should last 3 - 5 years or possibly longer.

Go on Amazon and get a gel cell battery - they are cheap as hell and awesome.

I got one for my '04 Honda Shadow Spirit - it was less than $40, and even has a little LCD multi-meter on the top of it that tells you the voltage and charge level.

I've had it for 2 years - I forgot to hook my battery tender up before this last cold snap, and it still had power to crank the engine when I got it back out the other day.  It wasn't enough to get the bike started (it's carbureted with a choke - and if it's been sitting it has to crank for a bit), but fortunately I live at the top of a big hill, so I just roll-started it.

By the time I got home (about an hour) the battery was fully charged, and the next time I went out it started no problem.

Saw the top off empty it, you have a great Pencil Box.

Seriously,  U got some POS  Chinese battery.  How many here have  does it take to pound this  Fact into you?  I don't blame you, a new  battery for the Yammer at Auto Zone was $123, Chinese, even, and special order. Not even a Yuasa.

@Robert,  UR right except the part about "marine batteries frying starter". One, it's Doubtful  any  Marine or RV-rated battery will  Fit in that dinky compartment. Two, Ohm's law is voltage over resistance equals current.  If  voltage doesn't fluctuate under load, the  load isn't going to change of course; so,   current is same.   Whether supply is  a 12 volt 12A/Hr or a 770CCA 12volt marine;  unless  there is some Problem. You probably used massive jumpers To your marine  battery in this One, Isolated case; the OEM battery cables were #6, and normally act as current limits.

• adam

you bought a cheap made in China battery thats why.  caveat emptor. 

What make was it?  Many are rebadge dChinee POS. Look Closely  at it. Get a Japanese Yuasa or something, next time..

Many cheap copy Samsung Li-Ion batterie's out there, too, look Just like 'em except no "+" and "-" designations.  @barry: Battery's don't'  "have amps". Ignorant. They have an Ampere-Hour Rating;  On cars. CCA is 3x the A/Hr.  Amps are Only Supplied on load. Not "held" like in a capacitor. Common myth but you  should be past it by now.

I have bought M/F from Batteries Plus, all POS. Last one year if lucky. I   hit a lot of bump's on Sandrio road, this also shortens life.

Get a Yuasa.

• Jay P

Make sure the charging system is working properly and if you only ride occasionally and/or short distances, put the battery on a smart trickle charger while it's parked to keep the battery topped up. 

Made in China piece of ****....

Make sure the next one you buy has a five year guarantee and has sufficient amps to cope with demand. And check the charging rate too.