Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Is SSI and SSDI counted as "Annual Income" for IRS tax purposes? ?

I sold some stocks for for a gain of 190 dollars throughout the year of 2020. 

According to the tax calculator, whether I pay taxes on this is dependent on my Annual Income. If my SSI and SSDI is not considered Annual Income then I pay nothing apparently. If it is considered. I would pay a couple dollars. 

Idk if I need to worry about bothering to file a tax return or not. 

Update:

SSI/SSDI is my ONLY income. This totals for around  I had stocks collectively 400 dollars and they rose by 190 dollars and I sold them within the year. My income is less than 13,000 a year. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

the profit needed to be reported to SSA, it reduces your SSI if it was over $20 for a month...YES, it will be reported to the IRS and SSA will find out.

OMG< SSI IS NEVER TAXABLE..it is a form of welfare!  anyone who get  SSI would have such low income the SSDI would NEVER BE TAXED..the max federal benefit was 803/month in 2020...some states have a small supplement...no state would be more than 1100/moth combined benefit...

run through the tax forms online, put the data in (SS and stock) and see what it says.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If SSR is your only income, you don't have to file.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What matters is your taxable income. Typically a portion of SSI is taxable and a portion is not. This should be reported to you on form SSA-1099.

You don't owe tax on stocks held more than a year unless your taxable income (including the stock gain) is over $40,000.

• 2 months ago

SSI and SSDI are subject to tax depending on your total income.

You will have to complete your tax form to determine your tax liability, if any.

Also, does SSI know about your stock?  That is an asset.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.