Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

How can i go look at a used car alone?

I have never done this before as my first car was handed down to me. I could buy a new car from a dealership but i want something cheap that i won't worry about when i park it outside and it gets scratched so im looking on craigslist from private owners since i heard you can save the most money. I found one car i kinda like it got 61k miles and cost only $7,900. How can i go check this car out alone? would i take a uber ride to the guys house to go look at the car and maybe even buy it?

Your proposed way to buy a car is about the worst way possible. You are almost certainly going to make a huge mistake. Buying a used car "as-is" means once you have bought, the car is yours, problems and all, and you can't get your money back.

Don't you have ANYONE with car buying experience to go with you and give you advice, and help you negotiate price? Furthermore, it is almost never a good idea to buy a used car without having it inspected by a mechanic first. 

With your inexperience, how are going to know what to pay? How will you know if the car is in good condition? Hint: Not because the dealer or seller tells you so. How will you know if you are being scammed? Do you know how the buying/selling process works in your state? Can you afford the required insurance? How about the sales tax and registration fees?

You don't have friends or family with car buying experience or who can at least give you a ride?  First thing is take a long test drive, at least a half hour. Then if you still like it, arrange to have a mechanic look it over. 

WOW! a UBER driver, eh? LIST the CAR TYPE and use CONSUMER REPORTS as a GOOD GUIDE for USED CAR purchases! I LOVE CARGURUS! They gave me TWO GREAT BENZ cars for only $3200 EACH! That is LESS than my 1969 BOSS MUSTANG! These cars are AWESOME and as far as I KNOW the ONLY CARS that get BETTER FUEL ILEAGE with the AC ON, as they run the FUEL LINES through an ICE COLD chamber from the AC system! It is GENIUS and UI thought I patented this idea OH, WELL< eh?CARGURUS nearly TESTS their cars and RATE THEM! If you know EXACTLY what car you want, CARGURUS and CARS.com and YAHOO. cars are GREAT places to look! We have an ABUNDANCE of cars out there with MA NY different features! GENERALLY ASIAN cars are teh EASIEST to own and keep running! BUT>>>ask if engien has TIMING BELT or TIMING CHAIN! The BELST can BREAK and leave you STRANDED! It ALSO depends upon the FLUIDS that are used, and ESP the OIL you use! I use ONLY PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM as it give a full warranty out to 500,000 miles! I use ONLY FUEL EFFICIENT ITRES where possible, like MICHELIN HARMONY TIRES! I think they were UPDATED a while ago! PENNZOIL is the ONLY Oi made from NATURAL GAS and NOT CRUDE OIL! It is BEST for you r ENGINE SEALS and GASKETS and RUBBER HOSES and BREATHERS, and PREVENTS generally ANY Leak's from happening! UNLIKE VALVOLINE that PROMOTES leAks! GOOD LUCK and HAPPY HUNTING! BTW there are SUPERB USED AUDI TURBO CARS from ALL: different years with ALL different COLORS! QUTTRO has won RACES everywhere in the GLOBE! ANOTHER great car for MANY T+YEARS is the SUBARU with EYE SIGHT to PREVENT accidents! ALL EURO cars dot thsi and NOW many FORDS and other DOMESTIC cars can do this! You can even get FINANCING and EXTENDED warranties on the OFFERINGS on CARGURS! I TRUS THEM they KNOW cars ad=nd how to KEEP THEM great! USED BMW cars are a TOTAL BLAST and last for THIRTY + years! 

My rule number one is never buy anything from Craig's list.  There are too man scammers trying to unload junk.  Definitely inspect any vehicle you want to buy.  If you are unsure, hire a mechanic to inspect it for you.  When you buy from a private party, you buy it as is.  If anything is wrong with it, you have no recourse.  With dealers you sometimes get a warranty.

• Scott

If you do not know how to assess the condition of a vehicle, you stand a good chance of getting ripped off. Craigslist is full of scam artists and it is easy to lose your money. 

• Jay P

There are many online sites that detail what to look for when shopping for a used car.  You can easily do your own research.

You MUST test drive before you buy. Take your insurance certificate with you. It must state that you can drive other cars. Try really hard to find faults. With a private seller if the engine drops out after you have bought it you have no claims. Buying from a dealer gives more protection and maybe a guarantee too. If in doubt walk away.