First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Hi, I am using turbotox to do my tax this year, and somehow it asked if I got this credit in 2008. I looked up and realized I didn't. Is there any chance for me to apply for this credit? 

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It's much too late to claim it now.  It only existed for a year or two.  One of the credits was required to be paid back over a 15 year period. People are still paying them back, so that's why the question was on turbo.

• Rita

Created as a response to the 2008 financial crisis, the Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA) allowed new homebuyers to get a tax credit of up t0 $7,500 during the first year of the initiative. In 2009, Congress increased the amount first-time buyers could earn to $8,000.J

cant believe it asked about 2008.

I doubt that if you were eligible for this tax credit that you didn't receive it.

It was a gigantic deal at the time....

You should have a CPA look at that for you.

• Amy

Do you mean 2018? You only have 3 years to file for a tax credit.

No.   You cannot get an unclaimed tax credit from 12 years ago.