Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Hi, I am using turbotox to do my tax this year, and somehow it asked if I got this credit in 2008. I looked up and realized I didn't. Is there any chance for me to apply for this credit? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's much too late to claim it now.  It only existed for a year or two.  One of the credits was required to be paid back over a 15 year period. People are still paying them back, so that's why the question was on turbo.

• Rita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Created as a response to the 2008 financial crisis, the Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA) allowed new homebuyers to get a tax credit of up t0 $7,500 during the first year of the initiative. In 2009, Congress increased the amount first-time buyers could earn to $8,000.J

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

cant believe it asked about 2008.

• 2 months ago

I doubt that if you were eligible for this tax credit that you didn't receive it.

It was a gigantic deal at the time....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You should have a CPA look at that for you.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Do you mean 2018? You only have 3 years to file for a tax credit.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No.   You cannot get an unclaimed tax credit from 12 years ago. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.