Steering wheel shaking at high speeds and vibration while braking?

So my steering wheel shakes at around 70-80 mphs and it also pull a little to the left. It doesn't shake while turning and there is no audible noise any where. My car also vibrates while braking from higher speeds. I've changed out the inner and outer tie rods on my fwd car and also replaced the rotors with new ones. I didn't replace the brake pads so that might be the braking problem. It doesn't change the steering wheel though. I got an alignment afterwards hoping it was the last piece after all those changes but it still continues to be the same. 

I forgot to mention I had my tires balanced twice after getting a new pair of tires

My car is a mitsubishi eclipse 04

• Phil M

Steering wheel shaking while driving at certain speeds is a balance issue. Believe it or not, imbalance on the rear wheels will cause steering wheel shake. Vibration when braking is from warped rotors. 

Front end vibrations at high speed AND when braking from high speed is always warped rotors (disks).  Notice I said "AND".  No front-end alignment shop worth crap, will do an alignment unless, tires, ties, drive shafts and brakes are right.  So how did you get an alignment?   You need to stop throwing your money away and go see a mechanic at a good shop.

Take it to the shop. You may need more than just a balance. That indicates warn bearings, tie rods, etc.

Tire Balance "should have gotten rid of the high speed just driving vibrations."

New rotors should mean they are flat.  Sometimes even they have to be turned.

Brakes that continually grab and let go would cause a vibration too. I would have replaced the pads the same time I replaced the rotor.

>You CAN replace the pads W/O replacing the rotor.<

>But not the other way around.

What about ball joints?  What condition are they in?

They can tell in an automotive wheel alignment shop if they need replacing.

. Also they can look at the steering damper to see if it is shot.

Does this happen on all roads you drive on or just some?  If just some, blame the road.  You will have to stay AWAKE.

As for it veering off to the left, that is odd.

All roads are not perfectly flat.  There is a hump where the lines are and the road slopes to the shoulder on the right.(rain water drainage).  So if anything I would expect the car to "slightly" veer to the side of the road.

. That is normal.  Sometimes the wheel alignment guys are that good that they calculate that in too, so the car drives dead straight..  Air pressure in the tires must be equal L=R of the same tread pattern and the load in the car is equal.   

.  If ye be taking your OBESE AUNT in to town and she is bringing hersuitcase filled to the nads with the kitchen sink....and you are just skin and bones , then the unequal weight will cause the car to veer to the heavy side .

Your answers lay back with the Wheel alignment shop or the tire shop. Get them to redo until it works.

Or you can't drive THAT fast.

• elhigh

If you did indeed have the wheels/tires balanced then the shaking isn't due to an imbalance.  Check to ensure that all the wheels are straight: no bends or dents in the bead seat to deform the tire at all.  

The shake going away while turning also makes me think that you may have a wheel bearing getting a little worn.

Why in the world would you replace rotors but not pads?  Pads are cheap and a wear item, if you think you have a problem with your braking system new pads are just an obvious first step.As to the vehicle pulling to one side, before you do anything else be sure all your tires are at the same, correct pressure.  For an '04 Eclipse that's 32PSI front and rear.

It is something to do with the belt located in the cars engine.

We had a new belt replaced in our car, and it was new and needed to break in, and when I would drive the steering wheel like you said started shaking and then breaking did the same way.

Get the tires balanced and have the mechanic check for bent rims. Pulsation while braking is always the front rotors being warped. Reusing the hard POS old brake pads caused the rotors to warp. Make sure you remove all the rust under the old metal hardware on the caliper brackets and buy premium brake pads that come with new metal hardware.

• ?

Sometimes brake rotors can be the cause of shaking. If your steering wheel shakes while you are braking then the problem could be caused by “out of round” brake rotors. This vibration can also be felt through your brake pedal. Another common problem that can cause shaking is when a brake caliper sticks on.

Classic warped brake disk symptom...could be bad CV joint, or unbalanced wheels, though.

• Tires might be out of balance or you may be picking up a harmonic vibration from the drive shaft or the planetary gears of the transmission.