Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

applying at pep boys, no experience with cars, tips?

So far I've had two jobs before, both in restaurants. I from 2017-2018 (the company was going under so I left) then I got a job at another restaurant and I've been working there since 2018. 

I know how to put windshield washer fluid in the washer fluid tank and I know how to check what the pressure on a tire is but that is  the end of what I know about cars. What can I do to boost my chances of passing an interview and get hired? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What kind of job are you looking for?  If you're applying for a cashier's position, no automotive experience is required for that but you won't be qualified for much else if you only have restaurant experience.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It would be hard unless you have a friend or family member that can recommend and help you.

• 1 month ago

SORRY! Not very much! todays cars are SO VERY COMPLEX that you nearly need a MASTER in engineering to own ANYTHING let alone fix it! You may make a GREAT cashier, tho! And LEARN as you go! GOO DLUCK to you ALWAYS1

• 1 month ago

Tell them you want the master mechanic position!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fuzzy
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You don't really need to be tech level anymore to work at an auto-parts store, knowing how to use a computer is valued more than actual automotive experience and knowing how to speak Spanish, or should I say broken Mexican. Having a lifetime of automotive repairing behind me, I've met some real boxes of rocks working at these stores. How many 40-50-60 year old people that really know cars have you ever seen working at one? Trust me you'll do just fine.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Unless you are eye-popping gorgeous or at least have eye-popping anatomy, there's not a popsickles chance in hell that you'll be hired.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No chance if you are applying as a mechanic.  An automotive school certificate would help if you do not have experience.  Good luck.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your only chance is for cashier, you haven't a clue about cars and that knowledge is not obtained via YA question and answer it takes years of interest and learning (even if just as a hobby).  

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If you work at an auto parts store, knowing something about autoparts is a plus.

Since you don't, dress proactively & flash a little bit of leg.  That may or may not work.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

For one - don't be gay. You won't be hired because when customers talk about their rear end, they want you to know they mean their car. Secondly, focus up on general automotive terminology. Know what a transfer case is, differential, transaxle, half shaft, control arm, strut, alternator. Things like that will help dramatically improve your odds of landing the job and perhaps some poon later on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.