Is it ok to ask a potential landlord or realtor if the stove in the apartment you will view is electric or gas?

I live in a neighborhood where most of the apartments in houses have guards/cages on the windows to prevent break-ins. Because of this I prefer and electric stove to prevent a fire.

It's okay to ask, for your own information. If you say it's because the apartment appears to violate fire and life-safety codes with the bars on windows, that's probably the end of your interview.  Nobody wants a troublemaker.  If it has fuel-burning appliances anywhere in the building, it is also probably required to have CO alarms in addition to whatever smoke or fire alarms they have.

Sure, ask away and tell anyone showing you places that you want an electric stove.

• ?

You can ask this question when you are viewing the apartment.

• R P

If it isn't obvious in either the rental listing or the pictures of the unit, it is certainly OK to ask that question. I would want to know that if I were looking for a new place to live.

• Maxi

Of course you can ask, however it will be obvious when you view the property.... in so far as you "prefer an electric stove to prevent a fire." electiricity can cause fires... the priority is that the electrics are in good working order...and having bars on windows, also check that is allowed as if you can't get out of the window then that would be dangerous and unlikely to pass as a rental property

Of course it's okay to ask. 

Yes, you can obviously ask this.

You can ask whether the stove is electric or gas.  I wouldn't say why you're asking.

If you want an electric stove, ask.  There's nothing wrong with asking.

The only reason you'd ask about this before seeing it is if a gas stove is a total dealbreaker.  It doesn't sound like that's the case, so I don't get the point of the question.  What if you see it and love everything about it except the gas stove?  Also, realtors always have this type of info on their listing page.  If you go through a realtor, you can find the rental listings online and just check the listing page.  They usually have at least a couple photos with rentals.