Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Renting a room with Disability?

I get $900/month plus free health-insurance. 

Can I rent a room in a garage or 

side-room so I can be left alone?!?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Check into income based apartments in your area.   You should qualify for very low rent based on your situation.  You might have to be on a waiting list for a few months if there are no apartments available right now, but an apartment is much better than a questionable room in someone else's house or garage.  

Once you have the apartment, you could also see if you qualify for any food stamps to help with your budget.  Until you have the apartment and can show what your rent would be, you probably wouldn't qualify for any other assistance.

• 1 month ago

"I get $900/month"

For what? 

" plus free health-insurance."

It's not "free" someone is paying for it. It's just not you.

"Can I rent a room in a garage or

side-room so I can be left alone?!?"

Depends on where you want to live. Conventional wisdom suggests that no more than 30% of your income should go towards housing. If utilities are included, then you can bump that up a little. So in your case, you'd probably want to put a limit of about $350 a month on that. In any case it's unlikely you'll be able to live in a house or apartment by yourself with the budget you have. You're probably going to have to live with other people.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

what people fail to understand is that when you rent a room, UTILITIES ARE USUALLY INCLUDED.  sometimes the landlord will make you pay for a percent of the actual utility on top of rent.  Most room rentals also come furnished

if utilities are included, you can probably get by with 400-500 rent, but you really need to write out a budget.  it will be hard even with food stamps (if you're lucky you will get about $100/month.

realize when you rent a room, you are not alone...you will share common areas with other residents.  you can only rent a garage room if it has electric, heat, plumbing.

watch for the local section 8 wait list to open...look other subsidized housing

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

$900 isn't much when you factor in utilities, cell phone bill, cost of furniture, down payments, finders fee, groceries, entertainment, cable, internet, car and health insurance keep dreaming

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends on the bylaws where you live.Where i live that would be considered an illegal apt.It's unlikely insurance would cover it also if something were to happen.

• 1 month ago

Yes if you can find one and don't eat much.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.