Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Can you be logical and emotional at the same time?

I read this post a while back that was like you can’t have logic and emotion together and it was supposedly proven by scientists. I’ve believed this for a while and now I want my power back. Is it true or not?

I think some people can.  Desensitized might be a good example.  I think in a crisis some people can handle the situation and still handle sympathy, empathy....like nurses and doctors and military and police.  I vote for yes.

It's true. Neuroscientists discovered through brain damage patient case studies that patients who have damaged emotional areas are _incapable_ of making decisions. I.E. Spock is biologically impossible. Damasio has some writings on the subject if you want to Google his name. The Greek idea of rationality and logic is just not how our brains work.

Some very intelligent people are also very emotional, but trying to be both at the same time is like trying to think logically while you're drunk. You mind doesn't do its best problem solving when you're in a very emotional state. 

• Jake

no that's mission impossible 

Well people do have both at the same time . The emotional makes the logic possible . You can't deny that