Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Does my coworker think I am mentally retarded?

I noticed she asked me difficult questions just to see how I would respond, and then I said, "I don't know." She was like, "What do you mean you don't know?" 

Then one time a coworker asked me a question and she answered, "She doesn't know.": Then once she was talking about herself and she said, "I am not retarded." Like as if she was referring to me. 

I have to say that your posting of this extremely boring and detailed question, about a situation that none of us can know anything about, DOES mean that while I'm not qualified to say whether you're actually "mentally retarded", I can understand why someone might think so.

• ?

i would hope not

Keep saying "I don't know the answer."  Repeat as necessary.  She'll figure out you're not a wealth of information and move on.  Either that or purposefully give her the wrong answer.

Since she's not your boss, you don't have to answer her questions.  I would turn it around on her, by asking, "Why are you asking me that?"  Or ignore the question and just talk about something else.  If she doesn't stop, just say, "You know, all these questions  are starting to annoy me.  Can't we just do our jobs?

When you are asked these questions, just pretend to be shy. Then it will be very difficult to determine whether or not you are mentally retarded.

Maybe yes, she thinks that or maybe she is just trying to prove to others that she is smart.

Yes, I do think your coworker thinks you're mentally retarded.