Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Blood in stool, do I need to go to the doctor? ?

I’m a woman in my 20s. For over two months I’ve had bright red blood in my stool. This hadn’t happened to me before then. It started happening with a few days in between each time. But now it’s been daily for a week and it’s painful when passing stool. How do I know when I should go to the doctor? I searched online but there’s so many things it could be. Thank you 

It's most likely caused by hemorrhoids or by internal piles. Both of these are benign problems that affect around 98% of the adult population throughout their lives. If they get bad enough, they may require surgical removal. But there are ways you can keep that from happening and relieve your pain. Eat a high fiber diet for one. Use a stool softener. Drink lots of WATER and water based beverages. Get plenty of EXERCISE, especially exercise involving walking and moving around. Try to avoid sitting on your butt for long periods, because this aggravates hemorrhoids. Manage your stress and make sure you get enough sleep.

• Rita

If you are experiencing bloody stools or bleeding from a bowel movement, you may need to see a doctor. Seek immediate medical attention if you are experiencing fever, excessive weakness, vomiting, or seeing large amounts of blood in your stool.

Internal bleeding........

• ?

Yes, it is always wise to have these things checked about by a doctor. Then you will know for certain what the problem and stop worrying it is something worse.

If it is bright red like fresh blood then it is probably blood from your anus or rectum. Blood higher up gets partially digested and comes out black and tarry.

Because it is probably from so low down in your GI tract it is almost certain to be something benign. It is quite possibly haemorrhoids. However, whilst it is a littel embarassing an examination by a doctor will give you a diagnosis and piece of mind.

You are probably going to end up with a prescription for a haemorrhoid treatment.

• ?

Most likely piles or a tear, both of which can have symptoms treated with cream and are self limiting (eventually) but  safest to get proper advice from a doctor. BTW, red blood means it is from near the end of the colon or it would come out black if it was from further in. And further in tends to be the serious stuff. So even tho it is blood, chances are it is nothing serious.

Drink plenty of fluids to keep stools soft and push in something like Vaseline (or H cream) to lubricate when passing.

• ?

I would have Dr. check it could be out, just to be on the safe side. It could be Hemorrhoids, Fishers or something more serious. Don't take any risky chances.

It could be hemorrhoids or a fissure etc so yes, you would need to be seen to be diagnosed and treated