Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

I think I want to change my career path?

Ever since I was younger I wanted to be a 911 dispatcher. So once I graduated highschool, I went to college and took emergency communications which I graduated from back in 2019. Since then I have been trying to get a job in that field but it requires a lot of testing. I know I am capable of doing everything the tests require but I am the type of person to get really anxious when taking tests which causes my mind to go blank. I have been in the recruitment process twice now and both times haven’t worked out so I’m starting to feel discouraged. I’ve been thinking lately that maybe the career I had dreamed of having isn’t meant for me. I’ve been considering going back to school but the problem is, I don’t know what to go for. I’m 21 and I feel like I should have everything figured out by now so it’s stressing me out to realize that I don’t have it all figured out. I’m hoping someone on here has some good advice that could help me through this situation because I don’t know what to do. All I know is that I want a career that pays at least 100k per year. 

I live in canada and in my province, dispatchers make up to 100k/year. Which is why I would like to aim for a career that would allow me to make that amount. 

And of course I know I will never get a career that will have a starting salary of 100k. My aim is to get a career that will let me work my way up to that amount. 

Everybody wants a career that pays 100k but most people won't ever achieve one in their lifetime.  Why would you dream of having a stressful job that leads to liver failure?  

I would say if you're not a good test taker and you blank out then it's a sign you don't handle stressful situations well and that job would NOT be for you.  You'd need to handle people's emergency situations on a regular basis without blanking out, freezing up or being unsure of yourself.

• Rita

Take a personal inventory.

Decide if you want to change industries.

Brainstorm careers.

Search for potential job matches.

Do your research.

Make an action plan.

Rebrand yourself.

Mobilize your network.

Your crystal ball isn't working.  Consider looking into alternate communication positions.  Chances are you don't possess the detailed knowledge about them and their earning potential simply because you haven't yet discovered them.  Then consider that with more experience and confidence your ability to take the 911 operator tests with greater success.  It may not occur now, but may in the future.

If you get really anxious and your mind goes blank during a simple test, how are you going to react when you are in a real-life situation where the test is life and death?

You need to speak to a guidance counsellor who can help you by evaluating your strengths and weaknesses. Asking random people on the internet is not a good way to determine what you should do with the rest of your life.

I will offer one piece of advice - you need to work out how to overcome the anxiety; most jobs that pay well need people who are able to keep calm and perform when the going gets tough.

I don't think being a 911 dispatcher is a good idea for someone who is the type of person to get really anxious -- ever.  If tests make you anxious, then the emergencies you need to handle as a 911 dispatcher will be worse.

There are very few careers that pay $100k. You're unrealistic.