Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Is protein powder a necessity?

I am going to start going to the gym and I paid for a personal trainer. I start next Monday and my personal trainer told me that I need to take protein powder that it's a must. Is this true? Personally, I don't want to I would rather get protein from the food I eat.

Favorite Answer

No!  If you are trying to build muscle, you need to provide your body with plenty of protein -- that is true.  WHERE you get your protein is up to you. It is easier to carry around dry powder to mix or a bar than it is to bring a steak, many people use protein powders, bars, and prepared shelf-stable liquid as a post-work drink.  There's nothing magical about protein powder.  The "magic"is in the amino acids that you can get from any meat source.  The downside of protein powders is that many of them also have a lot of carbs and sugars, which are not good for you. The other downside is that your body can only absorb about 20 grams of protein an hour.  That means is you chug 30 grams of protein in your expensive protein powder shake, your body probably will excrete 30% of that protein unused.  

What's important is for you to know how much protein you need per day, perhaps 1.5 grams per kg of body weight, and how many grams of protein are in the foods you eat.

Do some online research and talk to your trainer.  

https://www.trifectanutrition.com/blog/how-much-pr...

"To increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight. Consequently, the same 75 kilogram individual should increase their protein intake to 75 grams (300 calories) to 128 grams (512 calories) in order to gain muscle mass. 

• ?

Yes, your body absolutely needs protein. Especially if you're stepping it up with your workouts, you want to make sure you're getting the right amount throughout the day. But you can get plenty of protein from whole foods, so hold up before you start scooping powders and blending.

Barnyard eggs steak chicken fish veggies all you need.

I usually add protein powder to my orange juice that I drink immediately after brushing my teeth and tweeting vague threats at John Kasich.

Protein powder - if not from plants is dirt. Every fresh vegetables to provide protein is to prefer.

That depends on your goals.  

• adam

NO! Eat real food. Protein powder is a waste of time UNLESS you dont have time to prepare a meal. Pro bodybuilders dont really use the products they endorse. What they actually do is prepare meals ahead of time and take their daily food with them. I keep a bucket of protein powder at home ONLY to use if I dont have time to make REAL FOOD. If you use a protein powder DO NOT use one that is flavored. Thats added sugars and fats DUHHHH. I use ISOPURE 100% whey protein isolate UNFLAVORED. If I need to. Otherwise I EAT REAL FOOD. Lots of chicken breast and rice. Turkey Breast and rice. Yams and sweet potatoes . Steamed vegetables. Grilled steak with all the fat trimmed off before I grill it. Egg whites and oatmeal. No bread . Lots of water . I have one cheat day per week on my diet. Your trainer doesnt know much about nutrition FIRE him and find a real trainer. 

Yes but no you can buy whey protein powder and I recommend taking it after your workout.The other option is make a healthy meal like Chicken breast or Steak as a replacement for protein powder.Eat like 2 or 3 pieces of chicken breast these are great post workout foods High on protein and low on fat.So you can either go with the food or the powder both are effective I personally do both.

Yes, protein powder is pretty gay (not homosexual). Eat well and drink plenty of water when you are working out. Your body can't process protein that fast anyway. Your trainer sounds like he uses bro science.