If I am over 21 and live with my parents, can they legally tell me how I can and cannot spend my own money?

Favorite Answer

Only if they have been court appointed to be legal guardian over you and/or your finances.

In most cases when the parent of an 18+ year old child living at home tries to tell their child how to spend their money, it's because they see that the child is blowing money on stupid crap, running up debt, etc. - and they are trying to get them to stop.

• Sky

No.  If you bank account still has their name on it, open your own bank account in your name only and move your money into it.  The same goes for any credit card that's in their name as well; apply for a credit card that's in your name only.  You may not be able to get much of a credit line until you establish a credit score, but there would be nothing they could legally do with or to your account without your permission.

If there is no kind of guardianship or payee over you, no, they can't tell you how to spend your money.

But they also are under no legal obligation to keep a roof over your head either

When one is an adult and does work, they should pay for their own food, utilities and rent. If your parents are commenting on the money you do spend, I am guessing that you are not paying for YOUR FAIR SHARE of the total household expenses OR saving money to move out. There lies you problem, I am almost positive.

How much money have you paid towards your living expenses per month? Where can you go and live that cheaply? Do you have a few thousand dollars saved for your rental deposits, furniture and to turn on the power and water?

If you are planming to move out and spending, not Saving your money, of course your parents see no end to you becoming a self supporting adult.

I know you do not realize it yet, but you HAVE IT EASY while living with your parents. You do. Assert your adulthood as you may, but while under their roof, you Answer to them. ESPECIALLY because you should respect them for supporting your lifestyle. 

Because if you were a 100% adult, you'd have your own place by now and he living on your own., right? Right.

Time for an attitude adjustment. 

Treat your situation with more respect and do your fair share of all housework and pay your fraction of the rent /mortgage, the heating fuel, the electricity, your phone, your car insurance, the food you eat, the cable and internet you use and such. After that, your parents won't bother you about your wasteful spending habits. Guaranteed.

If you want to he treated like the adult you claim to be, then ACT LIKE AN ADULT.

• Foofa

They can certainly tell you that you start paying that money to them in the form of rent or kick you out. It's kind of the same difference. 

I can legally tell you how you can and cannot spend your own money.

Your parents can kick you out of THEIR home if you refuse.

Move out, if you have money what are you doing still living with your parents?  Maybe your parents want you to save your money so you can act like an adult and be responsible for your own rent, and utilities and food instead of mooching off of them.

• ?

Not really. As an adult you are free to spend your money as you wish. But they are also free to tell you to go and live somewhere else. So they have some input as to how you spend your money.

• Bruce

No, they have no legal say in your spending. However, they have a legal right to kick you out. You could find yourself on your own. 

assuming you are legally an adult -- move out and they'll know a lot less about how you spend your money