Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how does one invest his money during these troubling times?

People like Peter Schiff are always telling us to get out of cash, and get out of American stocks, and then of course buy gold, and buy emerging market funds.  One of the reasons I heard for buying funds overseas was to avoid a very large inflation tax that might occur if your American stocks were to crash up, and even though they're going up, inflation is going up higher, and then you're stuck with a tax liability.  One thing I don't understand about that is when you buy foreign stocks, isn't your money still in U.S dollars?  I keep hearing about an inevitable collapse, and severe depression, and I want to get myself, and my portfolio prepared the best I can.  Do you guys have any thoughts?  It would be much appreciated!  Thank you!

Favorite Answer

The old saying is "buy low, sell high". I say invest in oil stocks, since they are much lower than usual at present. Oil is not going away any time soon, and as the COVID-19 pandemic eases, world economies should improve, bringing a renewed demand for oil in the next 1-2 years. Investing in oil right now could double your money in 2 years or less, and meanwhile, you can collect their generous dividends. Buy BP or XOM or an oil based mutual fund, in my humble opinion. 

Good Luck.

You should've invested 10 years ago. Inflation tax? You mean reduced buying power. Yes. That happens every year.  There won't be a crash. A Bear Market, but no crash. Who are you listening to? If you're too afraid, hide your money in the freezer & hope that inflation doesn't eat too much.

paul...:   You are listening to the WRONG person!  

• Steve

Stop listening to these stock entertainers. They are always full of negative guesses that may lead you to always be scared to make a move. You can overcomplicate stocks if you want to, but it really isnt needed. 

Travelinnnnnnnnnnnng

• kswck2

Two things that kill investors: Greed and trying to Time the market. 

Is there a collapse coming? Yes. When will it hit? Not even the so called 'experts' know. Inflation in the US is virtually non existent right now. In some African countries it is 30% or higher. 

Just putting your money in a money market is tantamount to losing money since you can make a profit virtually Anywhere else. 

Instead of worrying the fears, look into companies that Interest you. Like airplanes? Look into Lockheed Martin. Like golf? Look into Calloway. Like candy? Look into Hershey's. 

I may have lost money by not investing in banks-since I don't trust them but I have more than made it back in other industries that I do like. 

Just take it slow. 

Buy bitcoin and other crypto

If you are concerned about inflation, then you have never bothered checking out the rate of inflation in developing countries. As for gold, I don't see any anarchy in the streets. Publicly companies are still doing business and making money. 

Where did you get this weird idea that USA companies and foreign countries are independent from one another?   Many American companies do business in other countries and many foreign companies do business with the USA/Americans.   Just look at some of the big names everyone has heard of...Amazon, Facebook, Visa, Coke...   Budweiser is owned by a Belgian company.  Trader Joe's is owned by a German company.  Burger King is owned by a Canadian company.  General Electric Appliances is owned by a Chinese company.

Gold?   Pfft.  

"very large inflation tax that might occur if your American stocks were to crash up, and even though they're going up, inflation is going up higher, and then you're stuck with a tax liability"   This makes ZERO sense. 

"I keep hearing about an inevitable collapse, and severe depression"    I keep hearing Trump say he won the election.   So what? 

Dial it back and go get yourself a basic investing education.  You do not appear to understand the most very basic concepts.   Learn to filter out those who are wearing tinfoil hats. 

Timing the market is nearly impossible. Gold has underperformed over the long term historically.

You should probably stop listening to whoever is telling you of an inevitable crash and severe depression because almost nobody can accurately predict it.