Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do I begin a plumbing career? ?

If I wanted to start a career as a plumber would I go to a trade school or can I find an apprenticeship? How do I go about it? Been researching a little bit and looking it up but not sure if going to a trade school is an actual requirement to begin the process or not 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Start by calling plumbing firms and asking if they have apprenticeships available. That's first. If they don't, you can also ask them if they can recommend a good trade school to go to. 

That's your best pathway--they will know. You should call a firm that is more than just "joe blow, plumber' in the search--someone such as Roto-Rooter or another franchise, or if your town or city has a big plumbing firm, start there. 

You SHOULD probably get some schooling--then you will work as an apprentice until you can apply for your license. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Come over & replace my hot water heater.

• 1 month ago

A trade school is probably an advantage if you have the financial position to do that.  Then you will be more assured of a good apprenticeship.

• 1 month ago

You need to find an employer who will hire and train you as an apprentice. Then you sign an agreement with the employer and send your paperwork to the government. The government then registers you as an apprentice. You will then work to obtain experience and go to an accredited school. After about 5 years of work, you will write your exam to become a professional tradesman or trades woman.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Trade school will help someone take you on.    In my state you need 8000 hours (journeyman) or 6000 hours (residential) work experience and pass the state exam to be a licensed plumber.  That's about 3-5 years.

It's hard to get someone to give you work experience if you know nothing.  It's faster for someone just to do it themselves than to teach you. 

• 1 month ago

Having trade school training is a big asset in getting your foot in the door as a helper or apprentice. I say apprentice or helper because in some locations the unions control who will get jobs as apprentices. In other locations where there are open shop rules anyone can get a job as a plumber's helper. Never the less any training has to help in terms of getting your foot in the door.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.