How do I begin a plumbing career? ?

If I wanted to start a career as a plumber would I go to a trade school or can I find an apprenticeship? How do I go about it? Been researching a little bit and looking it up but not sure if going to a trade school is an actual requirement to begin the process or not 

Start by calling plumbing firms and asking if they have apprenticeships available. That's first. If they don't, you can also ask them if they can recommend a good trade school to go to. 

That's your best pathway--they will know. You should call a firm that is more than just "joe blow, plumber' in the search--someone such as Roto-Rooter or another franchise, or if your town or city has a big plumbing firm, start there. 

You SHOULD probably get some schooling--then you will work as an apprentice until you can apply for your license. 

Come over & replace my hot water heater.

A trade school is probably an advantage if you have the financial position to do that.  Then you will be more assured of a good apprenticeship.

You need to find an employer who will hire and train you as an apprentice. Then you sign an agreement with the employer and send your paperwork to the government. The government then registers you as an apprentice. You will then work to obtain experience and go to an accredited school. After about 5 years of work, you will write your exam to become a professional tradesman or trades woman.

Trade school will help someone take you on.    In my state you need 8000 hours (journeyman) or 6000 hours (residential) work experience and pass the state exam to be a licensed plumber.  That's about 3-5 years.

It's hard to get someone to give you work experience if you know nothing.  It's faster for someone just to do it themselves than to teach you. 

Having trade school training is a big asset in getting your foot in the door as a helper or apprentice. I say apprentice or helper because in some locations the unions control who will get jobs as apprentices. In other locations where there are open shop rules anyone can get a job as a plumber's helper. Never the less any training has to help in terms of getting your foot in the door.