Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 2 months ago

How to look nice every day with a busy schedule?

The embarrassing honest truth is that my hygiene and appearance has slipped because I am overwhelmed with some very short notice deadlines, sometimes I feel like I don't even have time to sleep because there is just so much work to get done in a short amount of time, I decided my work was my priority. 

So my questions is, how do some people (who I know have similar hectic schedules to me) come to work looking like a model? 

I want to know some hacks for looking very pretty very quickly in the mornings. 

For example, I do not have time to get the curling iron out on the weekdays (I have no idea how other colleagues find time for that, I wish I knew) so is there any fashions or hairstyles that are quick yet drastically improve the cleanliness and prettiness of my appearance? 

Quite honestly, you are putting your personal life before your work life. If you want to look nice for work, there are no hacks. You have to get up a little early each day and make the time and effort to look nice. It is part of your profession to look professional. If you have a colleague that you admire most and that you think you can confide in, you might want to ask them what they do, you could start the conversation light and breezy by saying something to the effect “you always look so nice, what is your secret?”

• Rita

Don't over commit yourself: ...

Do make a schedule and stick to it: ...

Don't let your social life take center stage: ...

Do prioritize: ...

Don't push yourself too hard: ...

Do make time for what matters most:

Take a bath daily 

Some get up way earlier to do their hair and makeup to perfection before work. For people in a rush, I recommend applying a bit of concealer right under the eyes, a touch of mascara, and lip balm at least. Good luck x 

• Dformd

Use wig              

• ?

Above all else, YOU ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN WORK. You have to slow it down and take care of yourself. You will get too burnt out. Seriously. Also, take a weekend to figure things out, too. This will help. You can time yourself and find a routine that works for you.

1. Simple shower- If you claim you don't have time in the mornings to shower, K, do it AT NIGHT. Many people who struggle in the mornings will shower at night. Become the master of the 5 minute shower, 10 minutes for hair-wash nights. Wash your face in the shower to cut more time. Wrap your hair in soft curlers and sleep. That will give you nice hair in the mornings and you'll have time to get ready.

2. Simple hair- Nothing is easier than a quick updo if you opt to shower in the mornings. Sweep up your hair in a high or low pony, leave some pieces out, curl those only, the end. Or blow dry, scrunch with your fingers, spray, and you're done. If you also feel like you've hit a snag with hair, hell, chop it off and get a cut that's easy to maintain and work with in the mornings.

3. Simple fashion- Look through your closet and pick out the easiest pieces to pull on in the mornings. Seriously, Amazon has pull-on jersey skirts for $10 a pop, mid-calf, in a million colors. Pair that with a cami/tank top, and a cardigan. Done. Or, if skirts aren't your thing, buy some simple work pants, same pairs in a few different colors, and pair that with fun blouses. You're overthinking and thinking that you have to look like your colleagues when you don't. Sundays, plan your outfits for the week and stick to them, end of story. If you want to switch up through the week, interchange those outfits only and have them ready in your closet to just pull off the hanger and done. Only use the same 2 pairs of shoes through the week.

4. Simple beauty- You don't need a 25 step makeup routine, so you need to cut out some things. I highly doubt your coworkers are doing a complete full-face with concealer, bronzer, highlighter, etc.,unless they are waking up at 4am. So cut your routine into something like 6 easy steps. Moisturizer, a good foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick (a good stain with some balm will do, too, and it will last all day). Done. Or trade out the eyeliner for blush one day. Whatever you want to do. Don't do 3 eyeshadows and sit there for 20 minutes blending; that wastes time and honestly, no one cares but you. You're at work. So again, take a weekend and cut your makeup routine down to 10 minutes and time yourself, see what you can do in that time. Because of work and high school, I can get my whole face done in under 10 minutes, but I also don't mess with contouring or any of that nonsense. I just keep it simple and it's worked for me all these years.

5. Miscellaneous- Nails, tweezing, plucking, dying hair, all saved for the weekends. If you want to do your nails but have them last, invest in a good 7 day polish and seal with top coat. Take time out for YOU during the weekends and just relax, please. You need it. 

The big time-wasters are elaborate makeup and our hair, and sometimes our clothing.

You don't share what kind of hair you have or its current style, but I find that my long hair is the easiest, fastest ever to make look nice. Wash it. Let it air dry while you do other things. If it's cold, blow-dry the part nearest your scalp. Brush it to wear loose, pull it back in a ponytail, put it up with a clip, pull back a portion of the crown with a barrette... No styling products, no curling iron or straightener. Nothing but keeping it clean enough. You can even put off trims and have it look the same.

For makeup, unless your business is fashion and you're public-facing, you don't need to go to a lot of trouble. A tinted concealer (or foundation if you need more coverage), powder, mascara, lip color or gloss, done. If there's a spare moment, maybe eye shadow in a neutral tint darker than your skin tone.

Wardrobe is time consuming if you let it be. My favorite is to have one neutral color and two secondary colors that go with it, and to buy the best quality mix-and-match pieces I can afford, over a period of years. I got a lot of mine at Goodwill at first.

My basic is black, worn with slate blue and cream. Maybe yours is grey with yellow and orange, or navy with red and lime. Whatever you choose, seek three or four things for the bottom half of you and five or six for the top, plus jackets, cardigans, scarves, belts, and shoes. Have lots of solid colors on the bottom, solids or prints on top. You can put together an outfit without even thinking and it always works. (And if you get sick of those colors, buy a dress that goes with the shoes but is a completely different color.)