Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can I shoot a wolf?

Hi everyone, I live in Montana, in a fairly isolated area, and a few days ago I saw a wolf.

If the wolf attacks me or my dog can I shoot him?

What does Montana state law say about this?

Update:

The First Dragon: If I don't report the kill, what happens?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Very unlikely that you or your dog would be attacked.  If you got livestock, that could be the reason you saw the Wolf.  I would be more worried about a cougar than a Wolf.  They are weary of humans & will attack stock at night.

I have a friend in Montana, near Superior & live out in the middle of nowhere & she has more problems with the Cougars than any Wolf.  They have shot a few & have trapped a few but the still kill her goats, geese & leave death afterwords.  Carcasses lay spread out throughout the farm.

• 1 month ago

The laws regarding the shooting of Wolves in Montana ::::::::: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...

• 1 month ago

Look A$$HOLE - that wolf's life is worth more than YOURS.  I hope someone shoots you in the head if you try.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. That is animal abuse.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

honestly you gotta be careful with the law you live at most states has new laws were cant shot kill wildlifes animals so you need to find out what their new law is before  you shoot anything .plus wolfs dont attacked people at all only if you are harming their young pups or entering their property lands that should not be for hunting . plus if you and your dog planning to go outdoor doing some activities should always bring a wooden sticks and a weapon in case other animals be hungry for your dog . wolves does kills small and large size pets dog. if you keep the leash on your dog then be fine , but letting you know dont kill wild life until you know what the law is . or you will be in trouble . 

Lv 7
    1 month ago

As others have said, if it attacks you or your dog, yes, and you have to report the incident to the state. However, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that a wolf would attack a human or dog. If you do not report it, and it's found out, you're likely to face charges.

• 2 months ago

Please don't hurt wolves they are beautiful animals. Think of them as dogs would you shoot a dog. just take your dogs inside stay away from the wolf and neither you, your dogs and the wolf will be hurt or killed. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Allow me to do your research for you - "Montana law allows a person to kill a wolf that is seen in the act of attacking, killing or threatening to kill livestock or domestic dogs. FWP must be notified within 72 hours of the animal's killing, or the attempt to kill the wolf."

• 2 months ago

Yes, you can kill a wolf that is threatening you, your dog, or your livestock.  You must report the killing or attempted killing of the wolf to Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks within 72 hours.

BTW The wolf is not likely to kill your dog because they are the same species.  If they fight, it will only be for dominance or territory.

• 2 months ago

Go ahead and shoot it to protect yourself and your property. 

If you can kill a manic your life is in danger then why couldn’t you kill a wolf if your life is in peril. Is a wolf’s life worth more than a human life. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.