Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Did Jesus ever hurt someone’s feelings?

• Carym

Yes, every time the stubborn SELF comes to the fore, it bruises my feelings. Because part of getting rid of 'SELF' involves the ability to embrace suffering, and it is usually not something I'm jumping up and down about---but it's necessary and rewarding.

On the other hand, if we allow God to shape and define our worth, we are free to empty ourselves without the fear of losing ourselves. My value comes not really from what I bring to the table, but from the One who brought me there.

________

Could anyone make head or tail of antonius' input?

The Romans went into Judea and razed Jerusalem and destroyed the temple, but he said nothing about that, neither did his papa.  He spoke nicely of the Romans and always he blamed the Jews. Wonder why!?

Because the Roman writers of the NT controlled their invented Jesus, and he had to say whatever they wanted him to say.  Some god!

Certainly.  Why do you think he had enemies?  He never did anything bad.  He just talked.  

If speaking the truth hurts someone's feelings, then surely feelings were hurt by some of Jesus' statements. Did He not call the religious leaders of the Temple the "children of the devil? (John 8:44), and call them another time "whitewashed sepulchers" (Matthew 23:27), full of dead men's bones and of all uncleanness. When truth is spoken, it will always convict the sinner. 

I’ve never met him. If I ever do I’ll ask him and let you know.

He told the truth, He taught the truth, the fact that the truth hurts some people is of no consequence, just as it should not be today.  

Calling the Pharisees "children of Hell" probably didn't make them feel good.

i'm sure some people were hurt by something he told them even if he did not mean any harm.

• Paul

He certainly created a lot of antagonism and hatred. Truth will have that effect on those who are trying to live by untruth.

He sure did! And quite right too. Read Luke ch. 6, how he offended religious leaders for healing the withered hand of a man while in the synagogue, on a Sabbath day. Boy, did He hurt the feelings of those religious leaders! Likewise in Luke 11:37-54. Also, Luke 13:11-17. And with the Syro-Phonecian woman who pestered Him to heal her daughter, He did so, despite Jewish people being offended that He would have any such considerate dealings with a Gentile - Read Matthew 15:21-28. Jesus proclaimed truth and showed compassion to the poor and afflicted, irrespective of how others might feel about that.  He caused such offense in certain quarters that those people sought to get Him put to death.