Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

Are there ANY American IPA's that don't taste like pine resin and grapefruit? Or is that the standard for the type?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is the American hops that give the grapefruit taste. 

• 1 month ago

Idrink Laguniatas IPA and i detect a grapefruit taste. Maybe they are all like that?  

• 1 month ago

Yes, the hop has one major commercial, growing region, the NW. I believe there were 3 small sole proprietorships last I heard. Cuban vs Honduran cigars are very different, but unlike London accents, growing region characteristics don't change 3 city blocks away.

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

IPA's are heavily hopped - it was part of the process intended to keep the beer from going bad on long journeys, such as the sea voyage from England to India, hence the name India Pale Ale.

The American-made IPA's of today are part of the craft beer movement, so you often get lots of beers intended to push the limits of what is sensible.

Consider checking out a juicy or hazy pale ale, these will be less hoppy and dry.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It is the American hops that give the grapefruit taste. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.