Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

The cat belongs to my daughter, so my husband insisted that she offer them for adoption.

• RP
    Favorite Answer

No. If "them" is correct, there must be more than one cat, but, if there is only one cat, then it, her, or him should be substituted for "them." With either of those corrections, it would be correct.

• Fin

The cat belongs to my daughter, so my husband insisted that she offer it up for adoption.

.

Cat is singular and thought of as neutral noun, unless the gender was previously identified, so you want to use the pronoun, 'it'. when referred to again.  Them is a plural pronoun.